[Semi-Solved] [6.11.x/6.12.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped after a few hours (ASUS Mainboard) Linux 5.17 driver - ASUS WMI Driver issue

Go to solution Solved by kazi,

Hey there, running multiple Unraid Server,

my main Unraid Server has now the problem after a few days all Fans/Waterpumps except CPU Fans just stops, after a reboot everything works fine, already switchted the Mainboard from the other server was running fine now for 5 - 6 days but now happend again.

Already checked the manual for max load on the FAN Headers, im way under the max load.

Is there anything in UnRaid itself that can controll the fanspeed? have multiple plugins installed, but nothing thats obvious.

Edit: Have now removed "Dynamix Auto Fan Control" will check if it has anything todo with it, but was disabled anyway

Edited by Marcel40625
Update
  • Marcel40625 changed the title to System Fans stopped working after a few days while running (multiple times)
  • 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the same sort of issue on my end. Server has been running fine for years. However in the last month or so, after X amount of uptime days my CPU fan will stop spinning and the rest of the case fans will slow down to almost nothing. This causes the HDD temps to exceed the warning limit of 45 C. A reboot always restores functionality until another X days pass.

I have not made any hardware changes to the server for years, only upgrading Unraid versions as they release.

The timing does coincide with my Unraid upgrade from 6.10.3 to 6.11.2 which was done on November 6. (Issue also occurred on 6.11.5).

I will be trying to downgrade to Unraid 6.10.3 and monitor.

For reference, this is an Asus X470-F motherboard and Ryzen 3700x CPU.

I should add, I have never had any of the Dynamix plugins installed and the issue has happened 4-5 times in the last month or so.

Edited by kazi

My server just started doing this 2 days ago.  I had no idea why the server shutdown until just a few minutes ago.  I was in the room and working on a VM and all of a sudden it got quiet.  I looked over and the fans had stopped, but the server was still running.  I watched as the temps started climbing and just rebooted it from the GUI before it shut itself down.

Not sure if it's related, but this is only happening on my main server which was recently upgraded to 6.11.5 and has an Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming board with AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 32GB DDR4.  I've not changed any of the hardware in months.  I just rolled back to 6.10.3.

I've been running 6.11.3 and recently 6.11.5 on my secondary server without issues.  An Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 with AMD FX 6300 and 16GB DDR3 without any issues.

Edited by Haldanite

Interesting so we have 3 servers on Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming motherboards. All with intermittent total fan failure.

I'm running 6.11.5 and had the issue on 6.11.2 and I think the version before that too. (initially thought I had RAM issues, before I saw the fans stop in Realtime, logs show nothing).

It would be one hell of a chance that 3 motherboards have intermittent fan controller problems. My wild guess is maybe some weird power management issues between Unraid and the Bios>

Do keep us posted on 6.10.3. I have managed to go 18 hours all the way upto 1.5 weeks

This has me thinking that there might be a common denominator with the MB.  The BIOS on my ROG STRIX X470 is version 5220 from 9/12/2019.  There have been several updates since this version and nothing specifically noting any issues with the system fans shutting down, but it might be worth trying to update to the latest BIOS version 6042 and upgrading UNRAID back to 6.11.5 and see what happens.  Not really a fan of knowing that my system shuts down due to hitting high temps; really don't want to do that to many times.

9 hours ago, Haldanite said:

This has me thinking that there might be a common denominator with the MB.  The BIOS on my ROG STRIX X470 is version 5220 from 9/12/2019.  There have been several updates since this version and nothing specifically noting any issues with the system fans shutting down, but it might be worth trying to update to the latest BIOS version 6042 and upgrading UNRAID back to 6.11.5 and see what happens.  Not really a fan of knowing that my system shuts down due to hitting high temps; really don't want to do that to many times.

So that's exactly what I did after discovering it was the fans. latest Bios and latest Unraid. Fans still shut off randomly I had 18 hours and 26 hours.

I have done the same as you did and rolled unraid back to 6.10.3. only been 9 hours so far.

I also couldn't think of anything worse for my hardware having to shutdown due to temp protections. So now we wait

8 hours ago, BomB191 said:

I also couldn't think of anything worse for my hardware having to shutdown due to temp protections.

Your hardware *not* shutting down when the fans stop?  (Sorry, a moment of levity seemed needed)

Have you asked around in the ASUS forum?  Perhaps it is more widespread than Unraid (such as across several distros/kernels)

Keep cool.

25 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

Your hardware *not* shutting down when the fans stop?  (Sorry, a moment of levity seemed needed)

Have you asked around in the ASUS forum?  Perhaps it is more widespread than Unraid (such as across several distros/kernels)

Keep cool.

Ha well yes that's very true. The magic smoke would be released if that happened.

I did have a quick google. but most of what I found was rookies not explaining to well and a ton of recommendations to get AI tuner running on the OS (Asus fan controller software) so kinda useless for us unfortunately. 

Edited by BomB191

Been on the latest BIOS and running UNRAID 6.10.3 for almost 2 days now without issue.  I'm not really seeing much of difference between version 6.10.3 and 6.11.5 between the two servers.  It looks a little different, but I haven't seen anything on the newer version that made me say, "I must upgrade my primary server to have that!".  Think I'll just stay on 6.10.3 on my main server for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Add the 2700x running on an Asus Prime X470-Pro to the list of the unexplained fan spin down problem. I've been having issues since 6.11.x and it's recently become unmanageable. It's also just been a royal pain in the butt to track down! Might have something to do with the "Airflow" fan speed monitor added to the dashboard I think in 6.11.x.

I downgraded to 6.10.3 which took away the Airflow monitor. Only up for 12 hours but so far we're stable. 

On 12/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Minijuice said:

Only up for 12 hours but so far we're stable. 

I have yet to have a random Fan stop/power down since downgrading to 6.10.3 it would have happened by now. and with I think 4 other people that have spoken up with the exact same problem and exact same resolution it has to be something Unraid related and the Airflow monitor. no way this many people on the same ish hardware are all having hardware problems that go away after downgrading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Marcel40625 changed the title to [Unsolved] [6.11.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped working after a few days while running (multiple times)
  • Solution
On 1/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, OrneryTaurus said:

Good find!

After 49 days uptime on Unraid 6.10.x (never was able to pass 10+ days on 6.11.x), I decided to give this workaround a try.

For Unraid you have to modify/add the file "/boot/config/modprobe.d/disable-asus-wmi.conf" instead of what is mentioned in the Reddit link. On boot it will copy it to "/etc/modprobe.d".

I confirmed that this worked because I no longer see the fan speeds in the Unraid dashboard, indicating that the Asus module is disabled.

Edited by kazi
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Marcel40625 changed the title to [Semi-Solved] [6.11.x/6.12.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped after a few hours (ASUS Mainboard) Linux 5.17 driver - ASUS WMI Driver issue