[Semi-Solved] [6.11.x/6.12.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped after a few hours (ASUS Mainboard) Linux 5.17 driver - ASUS WMI Driver issue

Go to solution Solved by kazi,

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/21/2023 at 6:38 AM, kazi said:

For Unraid you have to modify/add the file "/boot/config/modprobe.d/disable-asus-wmi.conf" instead of what is mentioned in the Reddit link. On boot it will copy it to "/etc/modprobe.d".

Do you put anything in the file or what?

I've tried by putting the text from Reddit inside the disable-asus-wmi.conf file (TXT File format). This text: # Workaround broken firmware on ASUS motherboards blacklist asus_wmi_sensors

I then rebooted the server and went to bed with a noisy server. When I then woke up, it was completely silent, and was running around 85-95 degrees C on a 3800X.

Motherboard is: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X470-PRO

And to be 100% sure: Can I just add the file to the USB drive through the share, or do I have to take the USB drive into my PC and do it that way?

On 2/22/2023 at 9:28 AM, general18 said:

Do you put anything in the file or what?

I've tried by putting the text from Reddit inside the disable-asus-wmi.conf file (TXT File format). This text: # Workaround broken firmware on ASUS motherboards blacklist asus_wmi_sensors

I then rebooted the server and went to bed with a noisy server. When I then woke up, it was completely silent, and was running around 85-95 degrees C on a 3800X.

Motherboard is: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X470-PRO

And to be 100% sure: Can I just add the file to the USB drive through the share, or do I have to take the USB drive into my PC and do it that way?

image.png.af08ea2bcb83dde29335630040f98cf5.png

Just open your flash and go to *\flash\config\modprobe.d

Create whatever file you like with .conf mines "disable-asus-wmi.conf"

In that file paste

# Workaround broken firmware on ASUS motherboards
blacklist asus_wmi_sensors

reboot and random fan stops resolved.

I'm not the correct person to explain exactly wtf it does or how it works. But I assume it just makes unraid/linux not touch that fan controller 

Edited by BomB191
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing this info. I also have the asus 470 and have had the problem  for months.

I ended up installing a fan controller .

I'll try this fix

edit: so ive added the fix. The asus sensors are gone, but I also lost cpu fan speeds etc.....

this the case for others?

Edited by juan11perez
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 9:46 PM, juan11perez said:

Thank you for sharing this info. I also have the asus 470 and have had the problem  for months.

I ended up installing a fan controller .

I'll try this fix

edit: so ive added the fix. The asus sensors are gone, but I also lost cpu fan speeds etc.....

this the case for others?

Yes this removes unraids ability to look/touch any of that. I personally figure not knowing the temp is better then knowing my fans will randomly shut off causing thermal shutdowns.

Just set the Bios to the fan levels you need and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Marcel40625 said:

The Problem is that we need a permanent fix from unraid for this, disabling the control and view at all cant be solution, just a temp fix

Does it occur with the stock Unraid installation, or only when the plugin is installed? If the plugin causes the issue, the plugin needs to be fixed, not Unraid.

10 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Does it occur with the stock Unraid installation, or only when the plugin is installed? If the plugin causes the issue, the plugin needs to be fixed, not Unraid.

It appears even if FAN Controls Plugins are not installed, Dynamix System Temp is enough to get the driver stuck and if i remember correctly its part of Unraid now isnt it?

And the Problem seems the driver that comes with Unraid 6.11 "Linux ASUS WMI Sensors driver"

EDIT:

!! found some posts, seems to be fixed in "Linux 6.1" where the "ASUS WMI Sensors" are abondend and the "asus_ec_sensors" are used !!

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-Drop-ASUS-WMI-EC-Sensors

Edited by Marcel40625
10 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The issue occurs with a plain Unraid install, without any of the plugins mentioned. It is due to a new ASUS WMI sensor driver that is included in the Linux kernel version used by Unraid 6.11.

Edited by kazi
  • Upvote 1
  • Marcel40625 changed the title to [Unsolved] [6.11.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped after a few hours (ASUS Mainboard) Linux 5.17 driver - ASUS WMI Driver issue
22 minutes ago, Marcel40625 said:

!! found some posts, seems to be fixed in "Linux 6.1" where the "ASUS WMI Sensors" are abondend and the "asus_ec_sensors" are used !!

8 minutes ago, kazi said:

It is due to a new ASUS WMI sensor driver that is included in the Linux kernel version used by Unraid 6.11.

Then upgrade to 6.12.0-rc3 and see if the issue is fixed since the RC version uses Kernel 6.1.23

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2023 at 12:57 AM, ich777 said:

Then upgrade to 6.12.0-rc3 and see if the issue is fixed since the RC version uses Kernel 6.1.23

Old (ish) thread, and separate poster, but i see this with 6.12-rc6, didn't see it with 6.11, and interestingly, I'm not on an Asus board, but an Asrock.

The workaround, assuming i applied it correctly however, doesn't work for me.

A little more testing, running 'pwmconfig' on the CLI and selecting 'manual mode' and the fans jump to life, just at full speed.

Removing some of the dynamix plugins (system temperature) and rebooting however doesn't appear to resolve it, either.

# EDIT

More testing - 

Booting to BIOS and flipping the fan controls from DC to PWM, appears to resolve the issue, even after a re-install of Dynamix System Temperature....touch wood. 😛

Will monitor over the next few days.

Edited by boomam
More test results
  • 1 month later...

Is this still an issue on the current stable version of Unraid?? 

The reason I ask is.... I have the following MB - Supermicro X11SSH-CTF. The CPU fan also stops after a random time.

I have gone into the Supermicro BIOS, but there are no fan controls in there!

Initially I thought I had done something, after I cleaned my system for dust. 

So I took the CPU cooler off and reapplied some new thermal paste. All was great, and was running cool. But after about 6hrs of running, the CPU fan stopped and the system started getting rather hot under no load.

I'm using a Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1268L v5 @ 2.40GHz in the system.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Marcel40625 changed the title to [Semi-Solved] [6.11.x/6.12.x] [Bug] System Fans stopped after a few hours (ASUS Mainboard) Linux 5.17 driver - ASUS WMI Driver issue