6.11.3 - Cache errors spamming the syslog

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi guys, following on from months of errors in my cache pool, I recently nuked the pool and started over with some great help from @JorgeB.

This morning my syslog was full and I found many errors coming from one of my cache drives (SDB1).

I assume this is the 256 GB ADATA drive in my pool, see below.

Before I go and replace this drive I just wanted to make absolutely certain this was the problematic drive in my pool?

image.png.da8a683bc21d45bce7266d1122c1f513.png

bigdaddy-diagnostics-20221124-1219.zip

• Solution
Nov 22 16:54:06 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Nov 22 16:54:11 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Nov 22 16:54:11 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: hard resetting link
Nov 22 16:54:16 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Nov 22 16:54:21 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Nov 22 16:54:21 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: hard resetting link
Nov 22 16:54:26 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Nov 22 16:54:56 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Nov 22 16:54:56 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
Nov 22 16:54:56 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: hard resetting link
Nov 22 16:55:01 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
Nov 22 16:55:01 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1: reset failed, giving up
Nov 22 16:55:01 BIGDADDY kernel: ata1.00: disable device

Cache device dropped offline, this is usually a cable/connection problem.

stop array and remove it, data should exist on the 2nd cache drive, or you have just one?

EDIT:

otherwise change all shares that have "use cache" on "prefer" to "yes" and let the mover do his thing and plug the cache temp via another sata or usb adapter in

EDIT: and be aware your appdata is now at risk with only one drive, by default appdata is stored only on cache!

Edited by Marcel40625
4 minutes ago, Marcel40625 said:

otherwise change all shares that have "use cache" on "prefer" or "yes" to "no" and let the mover do his thing and plug the cache temp via another sata or usb adapter in

You need the Yes value if you want mover to attempt to move files from cache to array.   The mover app ignores shares that have the No value set.  The required process is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

BTW:  The GUI contains extensive built in help. You can toggle it on/off at the individual field level by clicking on the text describing the field or at the whole page level by clicking on the ‘?’ icon at the top right.

10 hours ago, Marcel40625 said:

stop array and remove it, data should exist on the 2nd cache drive, or you have just one?

Thanks but I'm a bit confused now.

I have two cache drives in a pool. I want to remove one. Is it as simple as stopping the array, removing the drive then restarting the array? Or do I have to go through the process of changing the cache preferences on applicable shares and running the mover?

3 hours ago, randommonth said:

Thanks but I'm a bit confused now.

I have two cache drives in a pool. I want to remove one. Is it as simple as stopping the array, removing the drive then restarting the array? Or do I have to go through the process of changing the cache preferences on applicable shares and running the mover?

both ... first set all shares from "cache: prefer" to cache: yes" then the mover should move everything to the array, than you can stop the array and change your cache drives how you want. but make sure they are empty before :)