Added 2nd Cache SSD - Appdata Missing

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I added a second Cache drive and did NOT back up my current appdata (I am aware I am an idiot for not doing this).  After a Reboot (to 6.11.5) my docker list was empty and the appdata is also empty.  Restoring previous containers does nothing to help since the config files are missing.

AppData share is set to prefer: cache.

Am I f'ed and have to start from scratch or can I get my appdata back?

4 minutes ago, technologiq said:

I added a second Cache drive and did NOT back up my current appdata (I am aware I am an idiot for not doing this).  After a Reboot (to 6.11.5) my docker list was empty and the appdata is also empty.  Restoring previous containers does nothing to help since the config files are missing.

AppData share is set to prefer: cache.

Am I f'ed and have to start from scratch or can I get my appdata back?

Please attach your diagnostics to your next post, preferably before any reboot.

Cannot see what exactly happened since the diags are after rebooting but no btrfs filesystem is being detected on either cache device, try this in case one or both were wiped:

btrfs-select-super -s 1 /dev/sdX1

Do it for both devices, replace X with correct letter, if the command is successful for one or both reboot and post new diags.

Going to wrap this post up.

Ultimately I got in this mess because I didn't know what I was doing adding the 2nd cache drive. After watching @SpaceInvaderOnes Youtube video on the subject I had a much better understanding.

Fortunately for me I had the CA Appdata Backup/Restore plugin installed which had 3 recent weekly backups.  All I had to do was re-set-up my cache and then restore the appdata folder do it.  Once I did that, it was just a matter of reinstalling my previous dockers and I was good to go.

This also forced me to re-evaluate my cache setup as well as wrapping my head around cache pools and the prefer/yes/no. I ended up creating new multiple cache pools and now my unraid is running faster than ever and all my data is properly protected.

Thank you @JorgeB for your help!

Edited by technologiq
  • Like 1