First time building NAS, need some help

So this is my first time building a pc in general and I wanted to post the parts I chose and ask if there could be any problems.
Pcpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QjbkPX

The Nas Is loosley based on LTT's video: 

Questions I have:
1. In the notes it sais I need usb header adapters. Do I actually need those and where would I get them?

2. I have no idea how big the included cooler of the cpu is. And because this is quite a small case I'm not sure it will fit and I don't know where to check the dimensions of the cooler. Should i get another cooler like a passive one ore something else?
3. In the video linus uses intel optane as a cache. But it's quite harde to get. Can I just use any NVME m.2 ssd?
If you have any other notes or advice please tell them to me (like changing a part or something), i would greatly aprreciate your help :) and thank you for taking the time if you decide to help me.

EDIT:

Forgot to say what I will be using it for.

- NAS ofcource

- Plex, that's also why I wanted an IGPU (for being able to transcode for only 1 user)

- VPN, via wireguard

- Minecraft / Terraria server

- Some other things

Becuase I'm going to run so many things at the same time I chose a cpu with a 'high' core count
I have also been told that my cpu is overpriced so I'm already going to look for a better one (and motherboard because of socket) tommorow.

Edited by ThatIcyPolarBear
Forgot to mention some stuff, adding new information
7 hours ago, ThatIcyPolarBear said:

So this is my first time building a pc in general...

Do you have any particular space constraints?

Don't use a small case for a NAS machine unless you have a specific need (many negatives).

Will you need to transcode? You device might be capable of direct play.

How much storage space do you plan to have?

Why an old CPU?

On 11/25/2022 at 5:52 AM, Lolight said:

Do you have any particular space constraints?

Don't use a small case for a NAS machine unless you have a specific need (many negatives).

Will you need to transcode? You device might be capable of direct play.

How much storage space do you plan to have?

Why an old CPU?

I don't really have space constraints but i like the case + it's the one linus uses in his video.
Are the negatives that bad? The only downside i saw was that I needed 90° sata cables for the hard drives
I'm going to be the only one using Plex mostly direct play but i want the IGPU for in case i need to transcode. I'm the only one who is going to use it so I thought a IGPU would suffise.
I want as much space sas possible and have parity but I don't have that kind of money right now so I'm goin to start with 3 6TB Drives and add/upgrade drives later if needed.

Some guy said to not go after newer gens for their power saving capabilities, didn't think at the time that it also means that my cpu would be less powerfull so I'm going to pick a new cpu and motherboard

Also Important question, everywhere they say to not use controllers with hardware raid, but does that also count for the motherboard?

EDIT:
Updated the list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NB4bfv
Motherboard supports raid so let me know if that's an issue
Currently only 4 sata ports but I don't need 6 right now, will buy an HBA when I do
Also improved the processor to a 12th gen one

Adding important info

Consumer ITX motherboards will work fine.  Note that the number of usable SATA ports on motherboards may be affected by use of a NVMe drive.  Some that have 6 SATA connectors may only have 4 that can be used with a NVMe installed.  Always check the manual before buying, unless you like surprises and disappointment.

The case looks nice (I am a SFF fan for years now).  With small cases, heat is always a factor.  Much depends on where the system is physically located, how hard you push it, and the components you select.

I agree with Lolight - I'd probably go with a 12th Gen Alder Lake CPU with integrated video.

22 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Consumer ITX motherboards will work fine.  Note that the number of usable SATA ports on motherboards may be affected by use of a NVMe drive.  Some that have 6 SATA connectors may only have 4 that can be used with a NVMe installed.  Always check the manual before buying, unless you like surprises and disappointment.

Manual sais: "Please be noted that if M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 will be disabled."
So i guess I'm good because I'm going to use a pcie ssd.
Thanks for the heads up tho because that would be really painfull if after buying it I found out one of my sata ports didn't work.

Typed my reply in the quote
27 minutes ago, ThatIcyPolarBear said:

So i guess I'm good because I'm going to use a pcie ssd

Yes, you should be good with the SATA ports if that applies specifically to SATA M.2 devices only. 

My motherboard has the same situation where one SATA port is shared with an M.2 slot.  However, it says the following in the manual so I lose a SATA port regardless of SSD type if the M.2 slot is occupied:

The M.2 slot (M2_1) is shared with the SATA_0 connector. When M2_1 is populated with a M.2 SATA3/
PCIE3.0(x4 or x2) module, SATA_0 is disabled.

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, ThatIcyPolarBear said:

Thanks for the heads up tho because that would be really painfull if after buying it I found out one of my sata ports didn't work.

That's why I mentioned it.  Seen a number of people fall into that trap.

Worse is when you spend hours troubleshooting why your HD stopped working after installing a NVMe into your system.  Don't ask me how I know.  ;)

On 11/28/2022 at 4:59 AM, ThatIcyPolarBear said:

I don't really have space constraints but i like the case + it's the one linus uses in his video.
Are the negatives that bad?
I want as much space sas possible and have parity but I don't have that kind of money right now so I'm going to start with 3 6TB Drives and add/upgrade drives later if needed.

The negatives of the small case are:

restrictive air flow that will inevitably affect HD temps

very limiting expansion possibilities

requirement for the usually more expensive mini ITX motherboards which normally come with no more than 4 SATA ports,

and those boards that do come with 6 are impossible to find.

A better choice would be to get a spacious, NAS friendly case e.g. Fractal Node 804 which features ample cooling, accommodates cheaper mATX motherboards, many of which have 6 or even more SATA ports and designed to hold at least 8 HDs.

It also would be better to start with just 2 HDs (parity and data) and get the biggest ones you can afford.

Multiple smallish HDs are not desirable.

They consume extra electricity, use up limited SATA ports and increase number of points of potential failure.

The usage of a HBA card would add another device using non-trivial amounts of electricity.

If from the get go you structure your system with bigger drives and at least 6 SATA ports, then you probably won't even need to consider having HBA for a long while. 

Any modern Intel i3 chip with iGPU will serve your needs just fine.

Edited by Lolight
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Lolight said:

requirement for the usually more expensive mini ITX motherboards which normally come with no more than 4 SATA ports,

and those boards that do come with 6 are impossible to find.

I have had two Mini-ITX builds (including my current backup system), both from ASRock Rack, that have had/support 8 SATA ports.  They do exist.  :)

However, I have not researched pricing and availability recently.  Pricing has certainly gone crazy in the last couple of years.

I agree with everything you said above.  My main server is in a case that accommodates mATX/ATX motherboards and has room for 8 HDDs.  Smaller Mini-ITX only cases are certainly more limiting but I really like the Lian-Li PC-Q25 case (no longer available) that houses my backup server.  My prior Mini-ITX build was in a Fractal Node 304 case with which I had no issues.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Hoopster said:

My prior Mini-ITX build was in a Fractal Node 304 case with which I had no issues.

The Fractal 304 was the small case that I've initially considered for my first NAS system.

But had to drop it off my list after discovering the cost and availability issues associated with the mini ITX MBs featuring 6 SATA ports.

The situation seems to be remaining unchanged since then.

If I'm not mistaken even the pcpartpicker site doesn't list a single LGA1151 with SATA 6 ports currently available for purchase.

And yeah, the Fractal 304 is one of the very few small factor cases that is specifically designed to have enough of cooling airflow to keep HDs from roasting over time.

Edited by Lolight
15 hours ago, Lolight said:

If I'm not mistaken even the pcpartpicker site doesn't list a single LGA1151 with SATA 6 ports currently available for purchase.

Newegg in the US has the ASRock Rack  E3C246D2I for $260.  Mini-ITX, socket 1151 (Xeon E-22XX or 9th generation Core), 8 SATA ports (4 onboard, 4 via OCuLink cable), IPMI, etc.  The C246 WSI is the workstation version without IPMI. I got my E3C246D2I earlier this year from Nextwarehouse for a little less but it looks like they are currently out of stock.

This is the same motherboard in my backup server.  The OCuLink cable works very well for four additional SATA ports, but, yes it is an additional expense.  I got one for $25 on eBay. 

The Lian-Li PC-Q25 Mini-ITX case (I wish it were still available) has room for 7 HDDs and a 2.5" SSD so I have a bit of room to grow in that case.

I have really not been impressed with the current offering of server motherboards that support socket 1200 and socket 1700.  They are very, very expensive and hard to find.  For example, the mATX socket 1700 W680D4U is $479.  That's $200 more than what I paid for the E3C246D4U currently in my main server.  Fortunately, both of my systems based on C246 chipset socket 1151 motherboards have plenty of horsepower for my current and short-term future needs.

It used to be fairly easy to find several good current-generation motherboards readily in stock and at a decent price whenever one went looking.  That task is a lot harder now.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Minion said:

I'm also looking into that board. Can you provide any power measuremets in IDLE?

Which one?

E3C246D2I Mini-ITX (8 SATA ports; 4 onboard, 4 with OCuLink cable)

or

E3C246D4U MicroATx (8 onboard SATA ports)

Both have IPMI

Of course, if you are talking about bifurcation, I assume you mean the E3C246D4U and no the Mini-ITX board with just one x16 PCIe slot.

C246 WSI has no IPMI.

I have a Kill-A-Watt I could attach to either system.

Here are the bifurcation options for the PCIE6/PCIE4 slots:

Bifurcation.png.c6d371481c97f078c5e8ec62b10e563e.png

Edited by Hoopster

@HoopsterThanks for the quick reply.

I'm asking for the E3C246D2I - bifrucation would be very interesting here to install m.2 NVME with a decent speed.

The 16x is directly connected to CPU and could provide full bandwith to NVME cards.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004847905570.html

image.png.ebadd0f2190cfc0a26726ddbf3c2aa64.png

I go one of these cards and could confirm function in a x8/x4/x4 bifrucation x16.

I had issues with this on my Gigabyte C246M-WU4 and would like to move to a smaller form factor housing.

Edited by Minion

On the Kill-A-Watt, the idle power draw bounces between 31-35 Watts.  This is with all six disks spun down and no active docker containers or plugins.  I also have no discrete GPU in this system and rely on the iGPU in Xeon E-2246 CPU. 

20 hours ago, Minion said:

I'm asking for the E3C246D2I - bifrucation would be very interesting

Bifurcation on the single x16 PCIe slot in the E3C246D2I Mini-ITX board is the same as the E3C246D4U.

Here is a screenshot taken from my E3C246D2I:

611005367_d2IBIOS.thumb.jpg.d8dd424f262e8003b5b3bb6bd9efd1ee.jpg

• Upvote 1
My Gigabyte C246M-WU4 currently draws ~14W in IDLE with 4 SATA drived spun down.

I saw in posts from @mgutt, that the E3C246D2I has an higher power demand, but that much more...

After a longer time at idle it did dip down to 24 watts. Perhaps something was going on that I did not detect initially after the disks spun down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk