Strange power consumption issue?

heppy
Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hello,

so, I have a weird thing maybe.  Up to now I’ve been using a Corsair ax760i to power my rig which idles at about 31w (6x3.5” and 2xSSDs) on a i7-4770k which was fine but I wanted to see if I could get it down.  Most research suggest the RM550x is the PSU to get so I did. Only cable I changed was the 24pin but used the origins l cables from before but with the sata adapter from the new one so all drives are powered from one cable.

also. Went down from 32gb ram to 16, turned off XMP Profile in RAM, disabled audio in BIOS and set C7 to enabled.

but now, it’s idling (all drives spun down) at about 57w and the CPU stats seem to indicate something is always happening as per picture . 

any ideas? 

A57C3D7B-3321-4161-A0B5-3472A1CE0F20.jpeg

tower-diagnostics-20221125-2344.zip

• Solution
18 hours ago, heppy said:

Only cable I changed was the 24pin but used the origins l cables from before but with the sata adapter from the new one so all drives are powered from one cable.

Thank your lucky stars that you didn't blow up all your drives. Modular cables are not always compatible, EVEN from the same name brand.

Unless you know how to operate a volt meter and test the pinouts before powering your drives, NEVER reuse modular cables with the different PSU, just keep them together as a set.