Would something like this work for a DIY case setup?

John Danger

This setup is being sold as a acrylic  hard drive bracket/cage. It appears to be holding 12 drives.

My concern is heat and vibration. Are hard drives design to be run this close to each other? Is there enough of a gap to allow for air flow to transfer heat ?  What do you think for some kind of DIY case setup?

BVEfDWf.jpg

Edited by John Danger
  • John Danger changed the title to Would something like this work for a DIY case setup?
11 minutes ago, John Danger said:

My concern is heat and vibration.

No problem of vibration, my first build in this way, for temperature it also fair, many build actually much worse then that.

14 minutes ago, John Danger said:

Is there enough of a gap to allow for air flow to transfer heat ? 

Sure not enough due to they want put as much as disk in same dimension.

32 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

No problem of vibration, my first build in this way, for temperature it also fair, many build actually much worse then that.

Sure not enough due to they want put as much as disk in same dimension.

What type of case are you using now? Most computer cases can't hold very many hard drives unless you get one of these crazy ones that cost hundreds in shipping alone right? 

So if there is not enough gap for air flow, maybe I could make my own with a piece of acrylic or steel and space them out more with a fan for every 3 hard drives ? 

vibration with that type isn't much of a concern with the newer drives (NAS/pro) versions they made it for this issue. Enterprise drives will be fine.

my new case (waiting for this to arrive) - waited for black friday 50% off + free shipping - regular price is 399 aud + 120aud shipping. So grabbing this for 349 aud was great. So i saved 170 aud for black friday sale.

temps should be fine around 30-50c. (mine is around 36/37 average) goes down to 30-35 when AC is on.

image.thumb.png.3663d75b2dee2fa3c688d2041791e86c.png

2 hours ago, John Danger said:

What type of case are you using now? Most computer cases can't hold very many hard drives unless you get one of these crazy ones that cost hundreds in shipping alone right? 

So if there is not enough gap for air flow, maybe I could make my own with a piece of acrylic or steel and space them out more with a fan for every 3 hard drives ? 

I use Fractal Design define S at that time, there have water cooling area and I put 12 disks there and cooling by three org. 12cm case fan, at the bottom I place a piece of rubber for vibration damping, plus the back have 3 disks, so 15 disks total. This solution have high C/P and I got those acrylic quite cheap.

But due to need more disk, I go to rack mount case now, really hard to cooling at all. ( But less cable and plugable )

Edited by Vr2Io
11 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

I use Fractal Design define S at that time, there have water cooling area and I put 12 disks there and cooling by three org. 12cm case fan, at the bottom I place a piece of rubber for vibration damping, plus the back have 3 disks, so 15 disks total. This solution have high C/P and I got those acrylic quite cheap.

But due to need more disk, I go to rack mount case now, really hard to cooling at all. ( But less cable and plugable )

What case do you use now? I looked for server cases that could hold like 30 hard drive but they were in the thousands of US dollars.

Your old setup as the fractal Design define S with some kind of custom acrylic hard drive cage like shown in the picture I posted? If so, did you have any issues with heat from the hard drives being so close together?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, John Danger said:

Your old setup as the fractal Design define S with some kind of custom acrylic hard drive cage like shown in the picture I posted? If so, did you have any issues with heat from the hard drives being so close together?

In my standard, it cool well, even they close each other.

Below are some photo which take on many years ago,  actually they mount in same way, just later I change to use acrylic ( no photo ) for better outlook and little convenience if you need reassembly for disk change.

1st version, a smaller tower and disks need turn to some angle due to lack of space, then 2nd version was Define_S with larger space volume, still massive cabling. ( front side not fully screw, back side fully screw )

P1000803.thumb.JPG.cd1f059e120ffa995145336702bba950.JPG  IMG_20160220_110133.thumb.jpg.e1c3b666989ffea745fbba3c0e500636.jpg

7 hours ago, John Danger said:

What case do you use now?

Separate in two case, 3U ( with mobo ) + 2U ( no mobo as external enclosure ), case name Gooxi which made from China. ( !!! Rack case often bad cooling !!! )

IMG_20191026_183627.thumb.jpg.a6fce7027876a1e87523989fc8aeca5e.jpg

Edited by Vr2Io