Add Intel iGPU QSV Quick Sync Encoding to Official Plex-Media-Server the easy way.

DemoRic

10 hours ago, dirtymike0330 said:

Does this require adding /tmp in the Transcoder temporary directory of Plex>Settings>Transcoder? I currently have that in mine and I'm not sure why :D I am getting the (hw) transcode so I know something is working (I believe I initially set this up for using my cpu). 

That is for using RAM as the temporary directory rather than your SSD or spinner.  There are other parameters that need adjusting to actually make the temporary directory usable though.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have an i7-6700 - Intel HD 530 iGPU.

According to "the chart", this should be able to handle transcoding just fine.

My issue is in both Jellyfin and Plex, the ENcoding is done by the iGPU but the DEcoding is done with my CPU.

I can tell because my CPU is still 90+% and in Plex, it doesn't show the "hw" next to the original format but *does* show "hw" next to the transcoded format.
My GPU stats on the dashboard start working but so does the CPU (in the red).

I have --device: /dev/dri:/dev/dri in my containers. (well I used the method mentioned here setting a "Device" in the container.

I have hardware acceleration selected in both Plex and Jellyfin and specifically selected my iGPU in Plex.

I have PlexPass.

Is there anything I could be missing guys?

Thank you!

Thanks for this guide,

I managed to set it up and got it working on an i7-477K.

However, first I installed the wrong app in unraid since ich777 image didn't appear and struggled a while until i realised it.

Could be worth a note in your main post that when searching for Intel-GPU-TOP in unraid Apps it doesnt show, I clicked show results from Dockerhub and found the wrong image.

I had to search ich777 Intel-GPU-TOP to get it to display!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am getting nowhere with Plex & HW encoding - the iGPU is showing zero load when playing a video.
Can anyone please assist?
Unraid 6.12.1 running on i5-7400(which IS quick-sync enabled)

From CLI:

intel_gpu_top -L
card0                    Intel Kabylake (Gen9)             pci:vendor=8086,device=5912,card=0
└─renderD128

which version of Plex is supposed to be installed?
there are 6 versions on the Apps page
I have the official (Plex) version installed

8 hours ago, oldfart said:

I am getting nowhere with Plex & HW encoding - the iGPU is showing zero load when playing a video.
Can anyone please assist?
Unraid 6.12.1 running on i5-7400(which IS quick-sync enabled)

From CLI:

intel_gpu_top -L
card0                    Intel Kabylake (Gen9)             pci:vendor=8086,device=5912,card=0
└─renderD128

which version of Plex is supposed to be installed?
there are 6 versions on the Apps page
I have the official (Plex) version installed

Make sure you have the hardware GPU mounted.

• Edit Plex / Jellyfin container > Scroll down to Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device > Config Type: Device | Name: GPU | Value: /dev/dri

This will make your hardware GPU available to the container.

Then go into Plex or Jellyfin and select it as your transcoder device.

Hope it helps!

image.png.5490701b9ce0e3862f116a3eb2870578.png

Edited by DevanteWeary

So I have followed this super easy guide and have had no luck getting this to work.  I have a intel i5-13600k which should definitely have quicksync. I have no other GPUs installed.  Installed the dockers, setup the plex variable container device and setup the plex hardware settings.  Plex sees the option and is selected but it never uses the GPU and just pings my CPU.  Also tried setting it in the preferences.xml.  Are there any logs or other suggestions I can try to troubleshoot this?

image.png

Edited by paradiesway
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 1:37 AM, ich777 said:

Please don't do it that way, it would be better to remove the lines from the go file, execute these commands from a Unraid terminal and reboot afterwards:

mkdir -p /boot/config/modprobe.d
echo "options i915 enable_fbc=1 enable_guc=3" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

With that you ensure that the module is loaded with these options without any messing around with the module when it's already loaded. ;)

This fixed it for me!

image.png.b814bafc86c087fc3a87da7ce2ba5541.png

• Upvote 1
On 9/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, david279 said:

Per that thread the issue where GPU Transcoding wouldn't work unless Tone Mapping was off was resolved in a late September build. My new unRaid build using the Linuxserver-Docker version of the app still has the problem. It won't use HW Transcoding unless Tone Mapping is off. Per their Github page they are on Plex build 1.32.7.7621-871adbd44-ls193 which should have the fix in it. 

I'm new to unRaid and am not sure the best way to proceed. Do I have a configuration issue somewhere, should I try the official or binhex version, wait for a new build to fix it or report this somewhere?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've followed this guide and I believe I have h/w acceleration working in Jellyfin from GPU statistics on an N100 INTEL IGP but initially when I set it up I saw both "3D render load" and "video load" using GPU about 30% and 80% respectively. Now I seem to only get "Video load" using 100% GPU and 0% on "3d render load"

CPU with one stream of 1080p content to 720p 6mps is at 35% avg. is this expected?

any ideas why?

Edited by pdampier