New NAS Build (Replacing One) - First Time Poster - Appreciate Comments

sfleck

So I recently sold my NAS and now replacing it with a new build.

I think this is the link to review where I'm at so far: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/smartCanada/saved/wqjmCJ

This build is intended as an Unraid NAS media server. Although I don't plan to stream from it I am trying to build it so it will be possible. Currently I am using NVidia Shields for streaming 4K movies and I do plan to upgrade my house to a 10GB Lan even though I know the Shields can't partricipate.

I went ATX so I won't have to worry about expansion cards for upgrades.

I'm just not sure what the best approach is cache drives. If 1TB is enough or is more better? Maybe I should have more RAM too?

I already made mistakes that PC Part Picker pointed out and I already replaced in the build ... like the wrong CPU. I purchased an i3 10105F first and then saw it had serious incompatibilities ... with M.2 capability and and graphics so I have to return it. Made a mistake with the PSU too ... first purchase did not have the 4-pin ATX connector (not sure if it is really required) which I was able to cancel the order before Amazon shipped it.

I don't want to make any more mistakes :)

Edited by sfleck
On 11/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, sfleck said:

Any specific need for a 10GB network?

What is the reason you're replacing your old NAS?

Was it running Unraid or something else?

Four 8TB drives?

To get started, get two bigger HDs.

The bigger the better.

The PSU...

It's a a very old, outdated model with a 80mm fan.

There are much newer and better PSUs available for similar money.

I'm unclear about your usage case.

Do you just want to stream video files locally, on your own network?

Then all you need is a cheaper modern Intel i3 chip (non-F) with iGPU and a compatible non-fancy motherboard with at least 6 SATA ports.

You can use your Nvidia Shield on the client side to direct play 4K files without any transcoding.

Edited by Lolight