Caveat venditor

Lol!  Complaining that vendor would not sell a CPU for 1% of it's value. Everyone that ordered one knew it was a pricing mistake.

Exactly, it was a pricing mistake, so why not just say that instead of providing a bogus claim that the item is out of stock. When I placed my order I assumed that there was less than a 0.1% chance that they'd actually fulfill the order. I'm not complaining because they didn't sell it to me, I'm complaining because they weren't truthful about why they didn't ship the item.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol!  Complaining that vendor would not sell a CPU for 1% of it's value. Everyone that ordered one knew it was a pricing mistake.

Exactly, it was a pricing mistake, so why not just say that instead of providing a bogus claim that the item is out of stock. When I placed my order I assumed that there was less than a 0.1% chance that they'd actually fulfill the order. I'm not complaining because they didn't sell it to me, I'm complaining because they weren't truthful about why they didn't ship the item.

Ditto!  I have purchased from MacMall in the past, but I will not again.

:/

You can rationalize it, but i think you guys are having sour grapes because this vendor made a pricing mistake and wouldn't honor the price. If they canceled the order promptly, credit your card promptly, and made a reasonable effort to contact you as to the reason (out of stock on $1 CPUs), they did all the right things. Maybe they could / should have been more precise, but you're going to never shot at the vendor again over this?  I think that's pretty harsh, but to each his own. 

I'm a bit appalled at the temperature of some posts.

Where is the honesty with a transaction in knowing full well the seller made a mistake in the listing and trying to take advantage of them. 

Getting all miffed because they cancelled the transaction in a manner that wasn't documented to a specific expectation just seems like a waste of energy.

As far as the cancelled transaction and funds. It usually takes a few days before the credit card reversal occurs or the authorization expires.

Where is the honesty with a transaction in knowing full well the seller made a mistake in the listing and trying to take advantage of them. 

Getting all miffed because they cancelled the transaction in a manner that wasn't documented to a specific expectation just seems like a waste of energy.

As far as the cancelled transaction and funds. It usually takes a few days before the credit card reversal occurs or the authorization expires.

I can't speak for anyone else but what really irritates me in this type of situation that at they are not honest.  Instead of saying it was a pricing mistake and they will not honor it they make up some BS excuse.

I can't speak for anyone else but what really irritates me in this type of situation that at they are not honest.  Instead of saying it was a pricing mistake and they will not honor it they make up some BS excuse.

It kinda reads like a righteous entitlement to take advantage of someone's mistake or a system loophole and then be mad that they did not honor it,  even if could hurt them financially.

Who knows what was going on behind the scene of the business owner.

Maybe the Amazon system does not allow canceling the order because of a pricing mistake, but can only do an out of stock situation.

Out of stock or out of stock at that price level. It's the same. There's no bs excuse.

People knew it was too good to be true.

I can't speak for anyone else but what really irritates me in this type of situation that at they are not honest.  Instead of saying it was a pricing mistake and they will not honor it they make up some BS excuse.

It kinda reads like a righteous entitlement to take advantage of someone's mistake or a system loophole and then be mad that they did not honor it,  even if could hurt them financially.

Who knows what was going on behind the scene of the business owner.

Maybe the Amazon system does not allow canceling the order because of a pricing mistake, but can only do an out of stock situation.

Out of stock or out of stock at that price level. It's the same. There's no bs excuse.

People knew it was too good to be true.

First off, my order was cancelled too.  I expected that.  No big deal.  I would certainly hope that nobody is upset that the deal fell through.

With that said, I don't understand why so many people can only ever be understanding of one side.  Sure, the company probably screwed up on the price, but there is nothing the slightest bit dishonest about placing an order for an item that is advertised at an extremely low price.  I've seen some amazing deals that were legitimate.  Are we all supposed to pass them up because we're going to assume that they are a mistake and will incur a loss for the seller?  Poppycock!  

And maybe Amazon wouldn't let them cancel because of a pricing error (which would seem to indicate Amazon wouldn't be sympathetic of their mistake either), but that doesn't preclude them from sending out an email explaining the true reason the orders were cancelled (and heaven forbid, maybe even an apology).  

And trying to say that the OOS reason is valid because they are indeed out of stock on the $1 processor is the most disingenuous thing of all of this because that would imply that they had it in stock at one point in time.  And if you're arguing that we all HAD to know the advertised price was a mistake, then we have to know they never had a $1 processor in stock.  So OOS is still a bogus claim.

IMHO, I don't see where either side did anything worth getting riled up over.

Agreed 100% with Weebotech on this. The vendor acted reasonably. People here hoped to take advantage of a mistake and are miffed it fell through, and having some righteous indignation about the lack of full disclosure by the vendor.

I posted this as a joke, since clearly it was too good to be true.  However, the last time I saw a pricing mistake that came close to this (the C2SEE motherboards for $20), Newegg actually honored it, so I figured there was a very slight chance that a few of us might actually get lucky.  I too wish that the seller had owned up to the pricing mistake instead of masking it as being out of stock, but ultimately it doesn't matter.  Anyone who bought this knew that it wouldn't actually go through, although there was that glimmer of hope that it would.  Anyway, joke's over...time to move on.  No need to get nasty with each other.

On a not-so-funny note, I've been bitten by a deal like this as well.  A few months ago I received via email a 10% off promo code for ChipsDigitalPC, a vendor I had been working with for several months already and with whom I had established a good relationship.  In fact, I'm the primary reason they started stocking server cases and accessories.  I used the code to purchase a Biostar A760G M2+ motherboard (one of the last of its kind) and a Norco 4220.  The motherboard came in a few days, no problems there.  The Norco case never arrived.  I've followed up by email and phone several times, but the seller has since gone out of business.  So now I'm just out about $350, and I've got very little recourse at this point.  I'm tempted to drive to the sellers address as it is only a few hours away, but I expect it no longer exists as well, and I would just waste even more money.  Technically I can sue the guy as he was operating as a sole proprietor, but I doubt my time and effort in a small claim like that will really prove worthwhile.  Guess that was the risk I took in dealing with a non-BBB accredited business. :-\  Live and learn.

I posted this as a joke, since clearly it was too good to be true.  However, the last time I saw a pricing mistake that came close to this (the C2SEE motherboards for $20), Newegg actually honored it, so I figured there was a very slight chance that a few of us might actually get lucky.  I too wish that the seller had owned up to the pricing mistake instead of masking it as being out of stock, but ultimately it doesn't matter.  Anyone who bought this knew that it wouldn't actually go through, although there was that glimmer of hope that it would.  Anyway, joke's over...time to move on.  No need to get nasty with each other.

I purchased that $20 C2SEE MB and I don't think it was a mistake.  I just checked my receipt and it was $54.99 - $35 due to a promo code.

On a not-so-funny note, I've been bitten by a deal like this as well.  A few months ago I received via email a 10% off promo code for ChipsDigitalPC, a vendor I had been working with for several months already and with whom I had established a good relationship.  In fact, I'm the primary reason they started stocking server cases and accessories.  I used the code to purchase a Biostar A760G M2+ motherboard (one of the last of its kind) and a Norco 4220.  The motherboard came in a few days, no problems there.  The Norco case never arrived.  I've followed up by email and phone several times, but the seller has since gone out of business.  So now I'm just out about $350, and I've got very little recourse at this point.  I'm tempted to drive to the sellers address as it is only a few hours away, but I expect it no longer exists as well, and I would just waste even more money.  Technically I can sue the guy as he was operating as a sole proprietor, but I doubt my time and effort in a small claim like that will really prove worthwhile.  Guess that was the risk I took in dealing with a non-BBB accredited business. :-\  Live and learn.

Raj, what you are dealing with is not the same thing. You paid for something and did not receive what you paid for or your money back.   That in itself would set me on edge. It's all about balance.

I would pursue this a little more if possible. It's totally unfair what you are dealing with.

With some of the other posts I stepped in because I was surprised at the temperature of people.

As far as the newegg motherboards. Was that a mistake, or were the blowing them out. I thought they were dumping inventory.... As I initially thought with this $1 CPU.

IMHO, I don't see where either side did anything worth getting riled up over.

First I want to say that I am a big time bargain hunter on computer gear.  I bought one of the $20 C2SEE MB.  I never (until this thread) considered that was any sort of mistake.  First Newegg doesn't make mistakes (I'm sure they have but I've never seen one), and second it was a low but still within reason price for a closeout item.  At that time Socket 775 motherboards were being phased out.  And this is a full ATX board, not very appealing for most applications.  $20 was a great price, but not a "steal".  I bought one and am very happy I did, but didn't try to buy a bunch of them.

I didn't jump in to the $1 CPU purchase because I knew it was a mistake, and I felt that it would likely be more of a hassle getting my money back than it was worth.  And if they did honor the purchase, I felt it was a little underhanded to take advantage.  But that's just me.  I can understand why some people did, and can't fault them for trying to get a good deal. 

What I reacted to was people railing on the vendor.  Whether they said it was a pricing error or out of stock - means exactly the same thing.  As others have pointed out, the choices for such an email might have been limited.  They canceled the orders, refunded the money, and sent emails - all within a day or so of the purchase.  Very reasonable IMO.  One person said they'd never shop with the vendor again.  Having a hard time understanding that.  No one should have expected the vendor to see Intel CPUs for $1.

I once bought something at Dell online that was well priced.  Don't remember what it was, but do remember it was something I was specifically searching for and I wanted to get it quickly.  It took over a week for them to cancel the order.  And longer to refund my money.  And it wasn't like the item was free - it was maybe 15-20% below other vendors on the same item.  I always felt Dell should have honored the price.  Dell did tell me that it was a pricing error after the week of waiting for the order to ship.  Didn't help.  Left a bad taste in my mouth that Dell handled it poorly.  I would up reordering for 20% more from someone else.  I think this vendor did much better than Dell.

They canceled the orders, refunded the money, and sent emails - all within a day or so of the purchase. 

Actually, they took SIX days to cancel my order!  And they have yet to refund my credit card.

No one should have expected the vendor to see Intel CPUs for $1.

I never expected to actually get it.

I'm ticked that it took almost a week to cancel the order and that they lied about the reason for not filling the order.  This is also not the first "issue" I have had with MacMall.

That being said, y'all have spent way more time thinking about this than I have.  This is just ridiculous!

They canceled the orders, refunded the money, and sent emails - all within a day or so of the purchase. 

Actually, they took SIX days to cancel my order!  And they have yet to refund my credit card.

I'm ticked that it took almost a week to cancel the order and that they lied about the reason for not filling the order.  This is also not the first "issue" I have had with MacMall.

That being said, y'all have spent way more time thinking about this than I have.  This is just ridiculous!

Call your credit card company. It may be an authorization and not a full transaction charge.

In that case it will expire.  If it is a full transaction charge, then let them know the order was cancelled and the charges have not been reversed. They will stop it.

Good point.

Good luck Raj!  Credit card company should protect you.  I recommend American Express BTW.  They offer special warranty.  On my iPhone they will replace it for first year (I think) even if I break it by accident!

We have to have something to talk about. :D :D :D

Can't all be about reallocated sectors and parity checks!

I think we should rename this thread "Caveat venditor"!

For all the folks wondering about the 'excuse', you can thank our 'truth in advertising' laws. If they had owned up and said it was a mistake, they would have had to honor the orders placed before the correction or face allegations of false advertising. By saying the particular item is out of stock they take a PR hit but can avoid loss from lack of profit or lawsuit. I don't think folks here would make a big stink, but there are others who make mini careers out of exploiting things like this.