Pihole and Unraid DNS requests / Dedicated NIC

Aldamir

Hi,

i'd like to use PiHole as a container on Unraid but I had to determine explicit DNS servers in the Unraid network settings. Otherwise it would point  to the Unraid server via the router again (gets the DNS address from the router which is on the Unraid).

Is there any way to resolve DNS requests by the Unraid server with the PiHole Container running on Unraid?

Maybe a dedicated NIC could help? or VLANS?

I am very thankfull for any idea how to solve this.

Thanks a lot!

6 minutes ago, Aldamir said:

resolve DNS requests by the Unraid server with the PiHole Container running on Unraid?

unRAID itself certainly does not need Pi-Hole as its DNS.  What Ads do you need to block on unRAID?  The most common usage of the Pi-hole container is to set its IP address as the DNS in the router for network-connected clients and to set the DNS for unRAID itself to something like Google or Cloudflare.  Ideally, if you are running Pi-hole on unRAID, it should have its own IP address.

I used to run Pi-Hole as a container on unRAID, but the problem with that is that if unRAID is down, you have no Pi-hole DNS on the network (you should specify secondary and tertiary DNS in the router) so I moved Pi-Hole to a Raspberry Pi where it have been running for a couple of years.