[BUIILD HELP] Choosing right CPU and RAM

maddog

I am planning to build a NAS with unraid which will have 2x14, 2x8 TB, for now. This NAS will be a standalone and act as NAS without Plex or any other services. I want to have another system working as the main server. I currently have few optoins at my disposal and was wondering what would be the best use of current resources. Some are already built systems and some need to be built.

Expand-ability: slowly but not sure to what storage.

Power consumption: Preferred low, as it might be idle 70% at least for the first year.

Option1 (Preferred option):

i5-2400, 8GB (not expandable) ram as NAS and i5-8500T, 16GB as the main server

Option2:

i3-10105F, xGB (need to be built) and i5-8500T, 16GB - either can be used for either purpose

Option3:

i7-6700, xGB (need to be built) and i5-8500T, 16GB - either can be used for either purpose

Option4:

Use either of the above systems to do the whole server in one massive system, which has all the HDD's and the main server.

Also, have a 1060, 6GB nvidia if that can be leveraged.

As mentioned would prefer to use the existing builds but wondering if 2nd gen would be sufficient enough.

Edited by maddog
minor updates. links.
4 hours ago, maddog said:

as it might be idle 70% at least for the first year.

4 hours ago, maddog said:

NAS without Plex or any other services.

I expect all consume similar power usage in idle / light load, different only happen in high load.

If you separate in two system, then observe problem was network bandwidth, when you perform file transfer and movie showing in same time, then it may have congestion.

And

If both system are 7x24, then what benefit got ? Just NAS 7x24 without plex, then NAS no storage ?

You can see the specs for my system below, in my siggy.  It currently runs 19 dockers and 1 VM (Home Assistant), all on a very modest 1st gen Ryzen 1500X and 16GB DRAM in a mid-tower case.  I've done some torture testing, running a parity check while streaming/transcoding a couple of movies and downloading files, and it didn't miss a beat.  So unless you have some known scenario where you are really going to ask for more than your system can handle, one system should suffice.

As Vr2lo wrote, I would be more concerned that the network would end up being the bottleneck, especially when serving 4K content.

• Upvote 1