ReiserFS error: attempt rebuild or replace disk?

I recently discovered that one of my disks was in a read-only state. I looked through the syslog, and found the following:

Jun 26 23:00:09 mediaserver kernel: REISERFS warning: reiserfs-5090 is_tree_node: node level 0 does not match to the expected one 1

Jun 26 23:00:09 mediaserver kernel: REISERFS error (device md8): vs-5150 search_by_key: invalid format found in block 241715678. Fsck?

Jun 26 23:00:09 mediaserver kernel: REISERFS (device md8): Remounting filesystem read-only

After running Reiserfsck --check, I found:

Reiserfs journal '/dev/sdf1' in blocks [18..8211]: 248 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. \/  3 (of  11//118 (of 164//127 (of 160|block 241715678: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (1) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (241715finished

Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped

1 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree

The question is, would I be better off attempting to run the rebuild operation, or just replacing the disk since it appears to be a bad block? Or should I do both? And if so, in which order?

Help me Joe L., you're my only hope.

follow the wiki instructions to repair the file system.  Odds are the physical disk itself is fine.

replacing the physical disk will only result in you re-constructing a corrupted file system on the replacement disk.

One more thing... DO NOT RUN reiserfsck on the raw devices or you will break parity.  You must follow the directions in the wiki and run it on the /dev/mdX devices... in your case, /dev/md8

For the most part, forget the physical /dev/sdX devices exists once you assign a disk to the array.  Once assigned, it must be accessed and repaired through the unRAID protected /dev/mdX devices.

Joe L.

• 3 months later...

I was having problems with read only state/s and when looking at the syslog it was apparent the issue was md4.  I ran reiserfsck as per wiki http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

cd                   [this will make sure you are in the /root directory]
samba stop           [all your shares will disappear from network]
umount /dev/md4      ['md4' corresponds to disk4, note it is 'umount', not 'unmount']
reiserfsck --check /dev/md4  [answer with the word Yes when prompted, do not type yes or YES, but Yes (capital Y and lower case es)]

After reiserfsck finished I got a message saying,

"3 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree"

(am I to take this as "your are being instructed by reiserfsck to run --rebuild-tree?)

I may be over thinking this, but I surely do not want to loose data.  Wiki says,

"Important Note!!! Do NOT run reiserfsck with the --rebuild-sb or --rebuild-tree switches, unless you are instructed to, by the instruction of a previous run of reiserfsck, or by an expert user!"

Am I ok to proceed with:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md4  [answer with Yes when prompted. (capital Y and lower case es)]

I am just needing some assurance from an "EXPERT USER" that this is the best thing for me to do.

(PS I do not currently have UnMenu installed)

Albin

Run rebuild disk. Next time start your own thread. Thread hijacking often causes confusion to those helping.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.  I am still learning about Forum/Posting Etiquette.  I thought that it is better to find similar threads and keep similar problems in similar places, and starting new forums on similar topics is frowned upon.  I guess I got that wrong.  Thanks for the heads up.  I will remove my post and start a separate thread.