Unraid as Guest VM Support under Hyper-v

hello, I really like everything I read about UNRAID. But I need a simple answer, has anyone been able to successfully virtualize unraid itself? So there is hyper-v type 1 hypervisor and Unraid as a guest? Of course passthrough controller, usb. and disks such that smart data and serial numbers are managed by the vm...

Has anyone been able to do this succesfully? I do not plan to use any feature of unraid beyond the disk management

8 hours ago, MyUnraidName said:

Has anyone been able to do this succesfully? I do not plan to use any feature of unraid beyond the disk management

I tried this some time ago and failed as I could not find a way to pass the USB drive used to boot Unraid through to the VM.   This is a requirement due to the fact that Unraid licences are tied to the GUID of the flash drive.  If this has since been solved it should run without issue.

Yeah i looked through the fourms and found some hints that someone was able to do it. And a demo on how to pass through a usb stick to a vm for hyper v. So it may be sonething i have to try.

Second to this, is the same question but using proxmox, which is very popular these days with many redditors and young tech people. In proxmox they say that there is immou limits to passthrough devices without including a group of undesirable devices to pass through. The groupings are too inclusive.

I have no idea but I think with hyper-v you can passthrough discrete devices without worrying about the groupings, or maybe they do not apply to windows for some reason. Thats the main problem. 

I appreciate the responses

• 5 months later...

Check this out....using VMware Workstation 17 Pro or Player...

Still battling to get it working in Hyper-V though....the USB passthrough is a challenge. I can pass PCI with USB/GPU/Network but so far can't boot and I see in forums that Consumer SKU of WIn 11 does have/support DDA.