USB Sticks not allowed

Parasite

Hey All,

I work in a professional setting and would love to use unRaid to house some of our data. Unfortunately policy dictates no USB sticks due to corporate espionage and security risks. Is there anything I can do to get around this? Was thinking using a disk on module (DOM) device and see if I could get security to approve this. Unfortunately they may be too "By the Book" and that would technically be a USB. Does anyone have any experience in this? Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Parasite said:

Is there anything I can do to get around this?

unRAID boots only from a USB flash drive because that it what the license is tied to.  Many motherboards have internal USB A ports so the USB flash drive can be placed inside the case where it is less prone to tampering or removal.   Even if the motherboard does not have an internal USB A port there are devices such as this that plug into the 9-pin USB 2.0 header on the motherboard and provide internal USB ports.

Since Unraid requires a USB drive to run it may be worth finding out if the corporate security allows such devices if they are plugged in internally to the server and thus not accessible.   They may well do as it is not infrequent for devices such as routers to have a USB device internally.

many users do this anyway even on home based services to keep the Unraid flash drive away from prying fingers, or simply even accidentally damaging or removing the flash drive.