Transferring build problem

plexnewb
Go to solution Solved by plexnewb,

Hi, Crossposting from reddit, 

Recently, I had to upgrade my server from an i7-4770k/gtx970 to a 12600k due to the mobo failing.

Problem: Hard drives are not showing up in unraid or bios

The new system is:

· Asus pro art B660 d4

· 32gb ddr4 ram

· Silverstone gold 750w PSU (1 year old)

· Silverstone CS380 with backplane

· 5 x 14tb drives

· LSI SAS2308 PCI-E Fusion MPT SAS-2 (rev 05) in IT mode

Steps taken:

· Hard drives directly plugged into mobo show up in bios and unraid

· Hard drives are spinning in backplane.

· Hard drives plugged into backplane and then into the mobo do not show up in bios or unraid

· CSM is greyed out as disabled even after disabling secure boot and TPM

Thoughts:

I do not see the LSI boot screen so I am not sure if that’s an issues. However the card does show up in unraid and bios. To enable CSM, I most likely need a dgpu, which I will try in a few hours. However, it is pretty confusing how a backplane can be broken if it is powered on and spinning drives. So, it’s pretty difficult for me to troubleshoot the backplane. I am not sure what the next step would be. Any help would be appreciated

Update: added gpu, CSM enabled, hdd are in raid now?

Update: HDD are not in raid anymore. turned intel storage off. def a LSI hba Issue.

Update: Confirmed it is a LSI hba not booting, led is green, or at least looks green to my colorblind eyes. I don't know what to do.

tower-diagnostics-20221129-1856.ziptower-diagnostics-20221129-1856.zip

4 hours ago, plexnewb said:

.Hard drives plugged into backplane and then into the mobo do not show up in bios or unraid

CS380 backplane have two SATA port for each disk, pls ensure connect to correct one. ** Pls confirm this success with onboard SATA first **

How about direct connect disk to LSI ? If no disk show up then it may be cable type wrong, you should forward cable instead reverse cable.

Edited by Vr2Io
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Why do you say that? HBA is being detect and initialized by Unraid, so apparently it's working, like mentioned above try connecting a disk directly to the HBA bypassing the backplane, if it still doesn't work you could be using the wrong cables.

It is the last part not to be confirmed working, is my only explaniation. I confirmed that the backplane is not the problem and im pretty sure the mobo is working fine as it detects hdd. Intially I thought it was CSM not being enabled, threw a dgpu in and enabled csm. Drives were still not recongized. Is the pcie boot suppose to be set to legacy or uefi? I tried both, no luck. 

So, I tried, drives connected to hba directly via the breakout cable and power. They do not show up in bios or unraid. The hba card and cables are from the old build so i know they are working, unless the cables broke while I was transferring the build to the new case. I have confirmed I am using the correct port on the backplane as it is labeled sata. I plugged a hdd into the backplane and then into the mobo, it works. Unless I am suppose to plug the breakout cables into the sas ports on the backplane since its sas to sata?

I ordered new breakout cables (link to what I ordered). I also ordered, a pcie expander and a m.2 sata port out of curiosity if it will work.  The old build had an uptime of 377 days with out any trouble with the hba card and cables. So its pretty difficult to assume something broke. However it is a possibility. 

7 minutes ago, plexnewb said:

I thought it was CSM not being enabled, threw a dgpu in and enabled csm. Drives were still not recongized. Is the pcie boot suppose to be set to legacy or uefi?

It will work with CSM or UEFI boot, difference is that with UEFI you might not see the LSI BIOS, depends on the board.

8 minutes ago, plexnewb said:

So, I tried, drives connected to hba directly via the breakout cable and power. They do not show up in bios or unraid.

If you confirmed the drives are spinning up it suggests a HBA or cable problem.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It will work with CSM or UEFI boot, difference is that with UEFI you might not see the LSI BIOS, depends on the board.

If you confirmed the drives are spinning up it suggests a HBA or cable problem.

I really hope its not the hba card. I had a really difficult time picking one out last time. lol I will update y'all when I get the cables. Most likely Friday evening (PST). 

1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

Then also suggest try HBA at different PCIe slot.

I swapped the hba card and the gpu no luck. I was wondering if I would need to update the hba card per this thread? reddit thread. I am not familar with updating hba cards nor do I really understand how to check if it needs updates. So any advice on this topic would be greatly appreaciated as an learning opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, plexnewb said:

I would need to update the hba card per this thread?

Nope, it's already on the latest available firmware and IT mode:

Nov 29 18:51:21 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00)
Nov 29 18:51:21 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: Protocol=(Initiator,Target), Capabilities=(TLR,EEDP,Snapshot Buffer,Diag Trace Buffer,Task Set Full,NCQ)