OS X 10.7 (Lion) and TimeMachine

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the share icon is dropped in startup items, Connected Servers can be unchecked in Finder preferences.  The Finder does not open the share window on startup.

Not quite the same.

First, that methods leaves you with the Finder window open on the tm share when you login and, second, it's a per user setting. If you have multiple accounts you have to set it up for each one of them in their respective login items list.

A question.  I stopped running time machine on unraid because I constantly got the following message.

"Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode." 

Does connecting share at startup solve this?  Just wondering if people have time machine working without this error?

See this thread for detail

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20293.0

Sorry for my ignorance but a couple of more questions:

Will I continue to get this error after deleting all of the dot files?  What is deleting all of the dot files actually doing?  Does it harm my time machine backup?  Thanks

The errors should not persist. The files will be recreated. Do not edit the sparseimage.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old topic here. 

I've been looking into which NAs server software to use for my file server, and unRAID is, for my intents and purposes, the best choice.

There's just one thing I'm still not sure of: is Time Machine now supported "out of the box", also for Lion (10.7), or does it still require a lot of tinkering?  I plan to use unRaid v5.x.  I don't care it's still beta, I need the 2TB+ drive support.

I've been reading up on it, Google searches and searches on this forum, but have yet to find a clear answer on this. I read on this page one the unRAID homepage (under the header "Integrates with your other networking software"): ?unRAID is compatible with Windows (SMB & ActiveDirectory), Mac (AFP & Time Machine), and Linux operating systems

So I'm guessing it's supported, but I cannot find it anywhere mentioned in a features list.  I really want to know beforehand, because it's important to me.  FreeNAS advertises as being Time Machine compatible.  As said, my preference goes out towards unRaid, but if Time Machine is still a problem, I might have to rethink.

Thanks beforehand for your answers.

TM support is part of the unRAID 5.0RC line.  I did have it running for awhile, but eventually threw in the towel.  You can only do TM using the AFP protocol and you have to use a special mode of that when you setup the share.

My main issue was allowing more than one system to have access to the one share.  Once a second system even touched that same share, I would get random deadlocks on the share and no one could talk to it.  I then created a TM share for each system and that worked for awhile.  After about a week or two, they all stopped working again with no explanation.  Add to that AFP has a short-life and Apple plans to get rid of it and use SMB.

I ended up installing CrashPlan on my unRAID box and pointing all of my systems to it.  Works like a champ.

Thanks for the replies!  I guess I'll just give it a try then.  From what I've read, worse case I'll just have to wait one month because by then Mavericks (10.9) will be released by Apple, and so Time Machine should work without a problem since then they'll start using SMB2 instead of AFP.