OS X 10.7 (Lion) and TimeMachine

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should just work - made sure it's shared via TimeMachine? Check screenshot for details.

I just don't get it. I've read like every AFP thread here and tried every share / usershare combo known to man and no matter what I can't seem to find any drive when setting up my Time Machine.

Am I missing something here?  If I use a single disk do I need to add a new unformatted drive that my mac can setup as it seems fit?

I'm on 5.0 rc3.

I am running b14.  I have two machines running TM - one 10.7.4, the other 10.6.8.  I had tried running TM to a user shares on the 10.7.4 Mac - it would see the drive, but was not consistent in backing up (missing an hourly here and there, usually got one back up a day) .  I had set the 10.6.8 Mac to a disk share and is reliably back up - now for 10 days with no issues.

I switched that 10.7.4 Mac to a disk share and it has not missed a back-up since. 

Seems user shares and TM are still not rock solid.

My question:  Can I set the disk share security to "Private" and still have the Macs see it?  I am not sure about the security settings as it is not well documented.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - TimeMachine is flakey... at best. It works great, and then it all goes tits up again. My old techniques for making it work aren't even working anymore.

5.0rc3 - I can't connect to time machine shares. I can browse to the share and it seems to connect, the disk spins up, and the AFP connected users count goes up one. But on the Mac I get the spinny wheel in the bottom right corner of the finder window and after a few mins:

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “tm-share” can’t be found.

Usually I stop AFP and delete all the .Apple* files in the share and all is well afterwords, but I can't even do that any more. There is a .fuse_hidden######## file in the .AppleDouble folder that won't delete.

Does anyone have any idea what I should try to get this to work?

Cheers,

whiteatom

Mine has been working perfectly, however I've got mine setup so it doesn't span multiple drives. It's still a user share, but I have a single drive dedicated to it.

Two computers backing up to this drive for over a year now, absolutely no problems.

Same here. I did run for at least six months with a multi-disk user share and it worked. The TM size limit made the multi-disk config obsolete.

Yeah - TimeMachine is flakey... at best. It works great, and then it all goes tits up again. My old techniques for making it work aren't even working anymore.

5.0b3 - I can't connect to time machine shares. I can browse to the share and it seems to connect, the disk spins up, and the AFP connected users count goes up one. But on the Mac I get the spinny wheel in the bottom right corner of the finder window and after a few mins:

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “tm-share” can’t be found.

Usually I stop AFP and delete all the .Apple* files in the share and all is well afterwords, but I can't even do that any more. There is a .fuse_hidden######## file in the .AppleDouble folder that won't delete.

Does anyone have any idea what I should try to get this to work?

Cheers,

whiteatom

Which Mac OS X are you using?

I have the same issue that i cannot mount my TM Share, but i am using OSX Snow Leopard and not Lion on the two MBP's i have.

Maybe i have to consider an OSX update.

UnRaid 5.0RC3; OSX Lion 10.7.4. The backup is a user share on a single 2TB drive with no other shares on the drive.

I have to reboot unraid, turn off AFP, delete the .Apple* folders, and reenable AFP and then I can get one reliable backup out of it. Then it seems if anything happens... unraid sleeps, mac gets switched from enet to wifi, it rains outside... it won't work. Every time it's the same thing, TM can't find the back up disk.

I can see the share in finder, but I can't open it. Unraid received the connection, the disk and the parity disk spin up, the AFP settings show a connection, but finder says the original can't be found.

This and a very occasional Plex crash are the only 2 things keeping my from being thrilled with my UnRAID setup. Any suggestions where I should be looking? does AVHI have good log files somewhere that might tell me there's a permissions issue? or a locked file? or that I'm overdue for a sacrifice to the unRAID gods?

whiteatom

The same behavior i can find here.

I already created a thread for that but never became any feedback http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19144.0

The thing is sometimes it even works without to reboot the server etc. sometimes it just needs time or several attempts to connect to the TM share.

In my case i also have a user Share which i have restricted to one single disk, and my server also is not powered 24/7, it sleeps when it is not needed.

Only thing i have seen that it seems to work better when i use a normal AFP share instead of the specific Timemachine AFP share.

Did an Update to 10.7.4 and no change.

@speeding_ant: Seems that you that here working fine, but i dont know why.

I mean my TM share is also a user share, restricted to a single HDD.

Do you use a special user for this share? I dont have any users added for TM.

Since youve got it running for nearly one year now, there maybe something have changed in the config, and your netatalk on unRaid still uses the old one, or, because it is working after deleting all the hidden Apple folders on the TM Share, there is some failure there (Database or volinfo).

Could you please post this 3 Files from your unRaid machine so i could search for differences to my setup:

/mnt/user/yourTMshare/.AppleDesktop/.volinfo

/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default

/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf

Any help is appriciated

HTMS_Share.jpg.dff61f59f8ad9d9cac5ef6d6e32fa69a.jpg

Mine are basically the same too (different size). Share is one drive with no other shares, own user, everything. After a fresh erase of the drive, I can backup up perfectly for the afternoon.. then I leave the Mac for a few hours and come bad to a ! in the TIM logo and a "can't find the drive" error. Can't browse to the share in finder - returns "original can't be found" error.

My current solution is to TM to an external drive (USB connected to the mac) and then rsync that to unRaid (I did manage to get the rsync server running without any issues).

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

whiteatom

One more thing: SMB is set to No.

You'll need to start debugging. First disable all add-ons by editing the /config/go file with Notepad++ or TextEdit. Make sure each line starts with a # except this one: /usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Upgrade to RC4.

Restart and test again.

• 1 month later...

Mine are basically the same too (different size). Share is one drive with no other shares, own user, everything. After a fresh erase of the drive, I can backup up perfectly for the afternoon.. then I leave the Mac for a few hours and come bad to a ! in the TIM logo and a "can't find the drive" error. Can't browse to the share in finder - returns "original can't be found" error.

My current solution is to TM to an external drive (USB connected to the mac) and then rsync that to unRaid (I did manage to get the rsync server running without any issues).

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

whiteatom

Alas, same problem here.

Since Lion dropped SMB support and forced me to switch to AFP I've never been able to make TM work consistently. I'm sick and tired of this.

I don't wanna say it too loud but I tested Time Machine connection in guest account mode (public share, not private and no specific TM account) and now the thing is working perfectly :o (I read about using guest account mode on a FreeNAS forum topic :P )

It's not missing any schedule and bringing any file back from TM is fast, before even if I could connect at times I couldn't copy big files, I received timeout errors. Not anymore. And no "dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF" errors so far.

Nevermind, the big problem remains the following: if I boot my Mac and don't manually mount the TM share on unRAID - by exploring it through the finder - the OS isn't able to find/load the disc by itself. Once the share is loaded Time Machine has no problem in handling any subsequent backup schedule.

As far as I can see, a dsi_stream_read unexpected EOF gets generated on the syslog anytime the "backup disk" is not found by OS X.

All right. I just placed a plist into /Library/LaunchAgents that runs and startup and mounts my Time Machine user share and now the service works just fine.

For those who might be interested and have problems with TM finding the disk:

on mountVolume_onServer_asUser_toNode_(serverName, serverPath, localNode)
if isMounted_(localNode) then
	return
end if
set networkProtocol to "afp"
if createLocalNode_(localNode) then
	set mountURL to networkProtocol & "://" & serverName & "/" & serverPath
	do shell script "mount -t " & networkProtocol & space & quoted form of mountURL & space & quoted form of localNode
end if
end mountVolume_onServer_asUser_toNode_

on mountVolume_onServer_asUser_withPassword_toNode_(serverUser, serverPassword, serverName, serverPath, localNode)
if isMounted_(localNode) then
	return
end if
set networkProtocol to "afp"
if createLocalNode_(localNode) then
	set mountURL to networkProtocol & "://" & serverUser & ":" & serverPassword & "@" & serverName & "/" & serverPath
	do shell script "mount -t " & networkProtocol & space & quoted form of mountURL & space & quoted form of localNode
end if
end mountVolume_onServer_asUser_withPassword_toNode_

on createLocalNode_(localNode)
if not fileExists_(localNode) then
	do shell script "mkdir " & quoted form of localNode & "; echo $?"
	return fileExists_(localNode)
end if
if (do shell script "ls -A " & quoted form of localNode & " | wc -l") as integer is 0 then
	return true
else
	return false
end if
end createLocalNode_

on unMount_(localNode)
if not volumeIsMounted(localNode) then
	return
end if
do shell script "diskutil unmount " & quoted form of localNode
end unMount_

on fileExists_(posixPath)
return not ((do shell script "test -e " & quoted form of posixPath & "; echo $?") as integer) as boolean
end fileExists_

on isMounted_(localNode)
return (do shell script "mount") contains (" on " & localNode & " (")
end isMounted_

mountVolume_onServer_asUser_toNode_("tower", "tm", "/Volumes/tm")

Last line of code defines server/IP address, share's name, Mac mounting point.

If the share is password protected  just replace the last line of code with:

mountVolume_onServer_asUser_withPassword_toNode_("username", "password", "tower", "tm", "/Volumes/tm")

Copy the above in a text file and save it as MapTimeMachine.scpt under /Library/Scripts

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-/Apple/DTD PLIST 1.0/EN" "http:/www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>it.maptimemachine.plist</string>
<key>Program</key>
<string>/usr/bin/osascript</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
  <string>osascript</string>
  <string>/Library/Scripts/MapTimeMachine.scpt</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Copy the above text into /Library/LaunchAgents/it.maptimemachine.plist

From Terminal

Run the command launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents

Check if the script has been registered with: launchctl list | grep timemachine

The code is system wide, works for all the accounts.