unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta8d Available

Seeing a lot of these errors in my syslog...

Jul 11 15:10:01 Tower crond[1463]: ignoring /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root- (non-existent user)

I'm running 8c + latest unmenu + various packages installed via unmenu package manager

Not an error in unRAID, it is one with an unMenu addon you are using.

The message can be ignored as it causes no harm.

It'd be good to know which addon so I can inform the author of the problem ... I'll dig around a bit and see what I turn up.  Thx.

Without knowing which ones you have installed, I can only guess.  It is probably the DS_Store package... which I wrote.  I know of the issue but have not had the time to fix it.  Like I mentioned above, it is not causing any harm so I am not in a huge hurry to "fix" it.  I have it on my list of things to look at, but have other packages to work on for right now.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing a lot of these errors in my syslog...

Jul 11 15:10:01 Tower crond[1463]: ignoring /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root- (non-existent user)

I'm running 8c + latest unmenu + various packages installed via unmenu package manager

Not an error in unRAID, it is one with an unMenu addon you are using.

The message can be ignored as it causes no harm.

It'd be good to know which addon so I can inform the author of the problem ... I'll dig around a bit and see what I turn up.  Thx.

Without knowing which ones you have installed, I can only guess.  It is probably the DS_Store package... which I wrote.  I know of the issue but have not had the time to fix it.  Like I mentioned above, it is not causing any harm so I am not in a huge hurry to "fix" it.  I have it on my list of things to look at, but have other packages to work on for right now.

That's one the few packages I didn't install.  I'll keep looking.

Found a reference to "root-" in the monthly-parity-unmenu-package.conf package file.  Reported in the unmenu thread.

As Joe said, I believe this is the issue I reported a few pages back... the free edition does not currently work with beta8c, and Tom has stated that this will be fixed in beta8d.

I actually reported it as either a virtual machine or free edition error, but the other reports are showing that I was right in the second guess that it's the free edition that doesn't work.

Regarding this message:

I can also confirm that AFP is not working properly with beta8c.

What Apple OS are you running?

I've been able to reproduce it with Snow Leopard and Lion

I'm running Snow Leopard, and have not had any problems (besides it being slow to first connect) with AFP. I'm not surprised that there are problems with Lion though, it's not even officially released yet, and unRAID's netatalk and avahi are not the latest versions as far as I know. I hope Tom is able to update these in a future version, but things are quite usable already in Snow Leopard.

I can't speak for time machine though... I don't use that.

just for the record, i also experienced a similar issue (free version and on beta 8c). Initially i could access the web admin page, but as soon as i tried to enable user shares it just went bonkers. I could still log into the server via telnet and there was network connectivity...just no admin page would render again.

Will try again once 8d is out.

thanks

5.0-beta8d is now posted.

There is also a new feature which is a checkbox under the Start button on the Main paged labeled "Maintenance mode".  If checked, when you click Start, the server will come up in "Maintenance Mode".

What Maintenance Mode does is bring up the unRaid driver and create the 'md' devices, but does not mount any disk drives (and hence they are also not exported via SMB/NFS/AFP).

The main use of this is to let your manually run 'reiserfsck' on your disk drives.  For example, after starting in Maintenance Mode, you can open a telnet session and check the file system of "disk1" using this command:

reiserfsck /dev/md1

Where,

md1 => disk1

md2 => disk2,

etc.

If reiserfsck finds errors, it will give you instructions on how to correct, ie, what options to include in the command for a 2nd run.  Since you are checking the 'md' device and not the raw disk, any changes will update parity as well, so parity will remain in-sync.

To check the cache drive, you have to know the linux device identifer assigned to it (it's displayed in parenthesis on the Main page).  For example, suppose it's assigned 'sdj', then you would type:

reiserfsck /dev/sdj1  <-- have to append the '1' to the device identifer

To get out of Maintenance Mode you Stop the array, and the Start again with the checkbox unchecked.  In the future there will be buttons in the webGui to do this, and other "offline" maintenance tasks.

I should add: there's another subtle change in the mover script.  You'll see that it now moves to a different user share file system mount point call /mnt/user0.  This is same behavior as in past releases.  The reason for the change was my clever simplification caused other problems so I had to return to previous method of having two mount points:

If cache disk not available:

/mnt/user => user share file system mount point

If cache disk available:

/mnt/user => user share file system mount point, including objects on Cache disk

/mnt/user/0 => user share file system mount point, excluding objects on Cache disk

Think I found a bug with the UI and/or possibly Unraid beta8.

I use cut and paste to transfer ~300GB from one unRAID drive to another. After the transfers, the files are on the other hard drive and they are gone on the hard drive I transferred from (as expected). However the UI still says the drives have the exact same amount of free space. 2.89GB free space on the drive I just removed ~300GB of data from. The drive I transferred too also shows it has more free space than it actually does.

Syslog shows nothing. This a bug? "free space" is not updating correctly in the UI.

Thanks.

I use cut and paste to transfer ~300GB from one unRAID drive to another. After the transfers, the files are on the other hard drive and they are gone on the hard drive I transferred from (as expected). However the UI still says the drives have the exact same amount of free space. 2.89GB free space on the drive I just removed ~300GB of data from. The drive I transferred too also shows it has more free space than it actually does.

Syslog shows nothing. This a bug? "free space" is not updating correctly in the UI.

Thanks.

which 5.0beta8 version are you running? 

Joe L.

Thanks.

Seems to work for me.  Dumb questions: are you sure you are using -beta8d?  did you 'Refesh' the Main page?

Copied over bzimage and bzroot (going from 8c to 8d).

Everything starts normally, but I notice the temp of spun-down drives has now disappeared.

What do you mean "disappeared"?  If you mean an '*' is displayed instead, that's normal and always been like that - this is because reading the temp of most drives causes them to spin up  :-\

The new permissions are not working correctly. I am using 5.0-beta8c Pro. I'm going to upgrade to beta8d now. I have ran the new permissions script. I have to run the new permissions script sometimes to delete or edit a new file because root has the only permission for new files. On my laptop, I have to type in a user name and password, which does what it's suppose to. Every share is either private or secure. On my friend's laptop, he is able to open most of the shares without a username and password.

syslog.txt

The new permissions are not working correctly. I am using 5.0-beta8c Pro. I'm going to upgrade to beta8d now. I have ran the new permissions script. I have to run the new permissions script sometimes to delete or edit a new a file because root has the only permission for new files.

How did you create these new files, via network protocol (ie, windows explorer), or directly on the system via telnet session or console?

On my laptop, I have to type in a user name and password, which does what it's suppose to. Every share is either private or secure. On my friend's laptop, he is able to open most of the shares without a username and password.

Windows will cache credentials - if at one time your friend was able to login with a valid username/password, it won't ask again if that same  username/password works on the server side.

I use pyLoad 0.4.6 to download to the cache drive.

I have to change permission to pyload a lot of time in order to stop it. If I don't stop it manually, the system will not stop, and it will hang on unmounting disk. I used this command that I saw Joe L. post: lsof | grep mnt

Stop SMB...Stop NFS...Stop AFP...Stop AVAHI...Spinning up all drives...Sync filesystems...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...Unmounting disks...Retry unmounting disk share(s)...

root@unRAID:~# lsof | grep mnt

python    4197      root  cwd      DIR      8,97      784        688 /mnt/ca                              che/.pyLoad

python    4197      root    3w      REG      8,97    69770        895 /mnt/ca                              che/.pyLoad/Logs/log.txt

python    4197      root    4ur    REG      8,97    43008        619 /mnt/ca                              che/.pyLoad/files.db

python    4197      root  13u      REG      8,97    3608        786 /mnt/ca                              che/.pyLoad/files.db-journal

python    4197      root  14r      DIR      8,97      784        688 /mnt/ca                              che/.pyLoad

I use this command to change the permission of pyLoad:

chmod -R 0755 /mnt/cache/.pyLoad

And this to stop it:

/mnt/cache/.pyLoad/pyLoadCore.py --quit

Since the new files only go to the cache drive, I use this command, again from Joe L.:

newperms /mnt/cache

It works, but it's annoying.

My friend has never logged in before. Some of the shares are still secure. They all have the same security.

Thanks.

Seems to work for me.  Dumb questions: are you sure you are using -beta8d?  did you 'Refesh' the Main page?

Still using beta8c. I'll update and post back if im still having issues. Yes, I tried refreshing. :P

Thanks.

Seems to work for me.  Dumb questions: are you sure you are using -beta8d?  did you 'Refesh' the Main page?

Still using beta8c. I'll update and post back if im still having issues. Yes, I tried refreshing. :P

The "deal" with betas is that I release them to the public, and you update whenever a new one comes out.  Often I will see bugs and correct them before anyone encounters and reports them which will cause you issues if/when you run into them.

Note to everyone using betas: if you are not using the latest beta, do not post in this thread.

Still having AFP issues in Snow Leopard and Lion GM.  Lion is expected but SL wasn't giving me problems before beta 8.  8d did fix some other issues I was having tho and I thank you for that!  Any idea on what's up with AFP?  Thx

I'm working on AFP today and hopefully will have a new beta out by this evening that fixes this.

What do you mean "disappeared"?  If you mean an '*' is displayed instead, that's normal and always been like that - this is because reading the temp of most drives causes them to spin up

I had the temperature showing full-time on at least one of these recent releases- thought it was something new...

And yes, by "disappeared", I mean the familiar asterisk has returned.

Still having AFP issues in Snow Leopard and Lion GM.  Lion is expected but SL wasn't giving me problems before beta 8.  8d did fix some other issues I was having tho and I thank you for that!  Any idea on what's up with AFP?  Thx

I'm working on AFP today and hopefully will have a new beta out by this evening that fixes this.

You are a gentleman and a scholar!