Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 1:50 AM, brandon3055 said:

Hopefully not too much longer.

I have been using the promise of ZFS support as an excuse to delay setting up my new server since before 6.11 was released.
But i can only procrastinate for so much longer... 

Same here. Bought a license, server is laying around waiting for official ZFS support :D

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, gyto6 said:

You can already use ZFS in Unraid with no GUI, instead of leaving the dust on your server : Support Forum

True... But the plugin does not allow you to setup the main array with ZFS so i would need to sacrafice one of my drives or setup something like a USB flash drive as the array just so i can use the server.
Which i may end up doing. But for now i think i am just going to continue using this as an excuse to procrastinate...

Edit: I have not tested it but there is a plugin which provides some GUI support for the ZFS plugin.

Edited by brandon3055
1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

What benefits of ZFS still apply to single drive volumes? I know many of the BTRFS features are unavailable.

ARC is also included with ZFS single drive volumes (or vdev). It caches each file read in RAM and the most used files used. Some more properties proper to ZFS can also be managed.

• Like 1

I really hope i have not misunderstood the planned ZFS implementation. When i hear "ZFS Support", Single device pools are not exactly the first thing that comes to mind. My plan this whole time has been to setup my main array as a RAID-Z2 with 8 disks. Please tell me thats actually going to be possible...

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, brandon3055 said:

Single device pools are not exactly the first thing that comes to mind.

AFAIK, Unraid's parity protection can ONLY work with single device pools. That doesn't mean you can't use a multi device pool as YOUR main array in Unraid though, it just won't be part of the parity1, parity2, disk1, disk2 etc. array, but it can participate in the user share system. Whether or not you will still be required to have one volume of whatever format in the disk1 slot for 6.12, probably, but I don't know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

Whether or not you will still be required to have one volume of whatever format in the disk1 slot for 6.12, probably, but I don't know.

Thats really my main concern. Will unraid let me use a RAID-Z as my main array without also having to have a 'traditional' unraid array. 

If i still need a 'normal' array then the official ZFS support does not really add any value over the ZFS plugins already available. 
Atleast not for me...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, brandon3055 said:

Will unraid let me use a RAID-Z as my main array

It would be a departure for unRAID technically and philosophically.  The unRAID array has always been about single disks with independent file systems that function together and have some RAID-like parity protection.  Traditional RAID implementations have not been supported in the main array.  RAID-Z seems to fall in the traditionally-unsupported category.

I have zero insight into what may or may not be supported with ZFS in unRAID.

• Like 2