Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

3 hours ago, dopeytree said:

Am I right in thinking if one creates a new 'cache' pool.

If one chooses raidz1 and used the correct number of disks this has parity in it's self encased pool?

raidz1 being 1 pool parity. raidz2 being 2 pool parity. 

Same as if you used BTFS raid5/6 but that is/was unstable?

Correct!

• Like 1
More clarifications:  in Unraid OS only user-defined pools can be configured as multi-device ZFS pools.  You can select ZFS as the file system type for an unRAID array disk, but will always be just a single device.  The best way to think of this, anywhere you can select btrfs you can also select zfs, including 'zfs - encrypted' which is not using zfs built-in encryption but simply LUKS device encryption.

Also note that ZFS hard drive pools will require all devices in a pool to be 'spun up' during use.  IMO where ZFS will shine is in large flash-based pools (SSD, NVMe, etc).

Interesting I was going to ask about encrypted zfs since I use encrypted xfs currently. So I’m curious why not zfs native? Isn’t it easier to manage then LUKs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
58 minutes ago, aniel said:

is it possible to add an option to skip pre check/ clear when adding new disks to the array ?

Preclear never has been mandatory.

If you don't clear the drive before adding it to the Array, Unraid will do it when you add it to the Array (before the format operation I think, tbc).

8 hours ago, aniel said:

is it possible to add an option to skip pre check/ clear when adding new disks to the array ?

No, if the new drive is not zeroed (either by a preclear or Unraid clear), then parity will be incorrect and have to be updated which can take a long time and involve all data disks.  Unraid clearing a disk is done in the background and won't affect normal array operation.

10 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Preclear never has been mandatory.

If you don't clear the drive before adding it to the Array, Unraid will do it when you add it to the Array (before the format operation I think, tbc).

that is what i meant, skip the checking when the disks is added. i as a user should have that option. 

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

No, if the new drive is not zeroed (either by a preclear or Unraid clear), then parity will be incorrect and have to be updated which can take a long time and involve all data disks.  Unraid clearing a disk is done in the background and won't affect normal array operation.

ahh ok

2 hours ago, aniel said:

ok thanks i will give that a try

but that means you then have to rebuild parity.

Disk clear delays availability of the new disk but without affecting your array. Trying to skip disk clear will make it available straight away, but then you have to rebuild parity which takes longer, slows down any other array access, exercises disks unnecessarily, and your array will be unprotected for the whole duration of that.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, aniel said:

ok thanks i will give that a try

Don't try this.  It is imperative that parity always be correct.  On the next parity check, you'll have parity errors on the new drive if it is not zeroed before being installed.  Just let Unraid do its thing or preclear the drive before installing it.

• Upvote 1

Non x86 machines are more complex. But you can use Virt manager.  image.png.b8894b3fba82e9815ef85251d022714b.png

You need to update the livirt config to allow remote connection.

root@computenode:~# cat /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf | grep listen_addr
listen_addr = "0.0.0.0"

virsh capabilities will show available CPUs

Note the rpi in the image is not a valid/running config.

image.thumb.png.8a7fc2039ba3331476e239c37d1efe86.png

Edited by SimonF
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

but that means you then have to rebuild parity.

Disk clear delays availability of the new disk but without affecting your array. Trying to skip disk clear will make it available straight away, but then you have to rebuild parity which takes longer, slows down any other array access, exercises disks unnecessarily, and your array will be unprotected for the whole duration of that.

understood

Down the line could there be a way to assign priority values for mover.. maybe 1-5 per share. 

1 = move files as normal (daily or low value user defines)

3 = move every 7 days

4 = move monthly or value user defines as high

5 = skip mover unless space is needed

We have the mover tuning plugin but still could use a little more wiggle room.

Downloaded media content to stay on drive as long as possible before moving to array while archive folders etc are cached then moved on to array quicker.

Could do it with custom scripts but sure others would enjoy this too?

• Upvote 3

Ya know, since you're thinking about changing the "unRAID array" to be a "Primary Pool" perhaps now would be a good time to think about getting rid of the concept of primary and secondary systems entirely.

And instead just make it all be pools by which I mean users can simply make a pool, name it, select what storage devices are apart of it and what kind of disk management system they want that pool to use. Be it the unRAID Array, ZFS or BTRFS and the kind of RAID mode - Including XFS if they just want a single device pool without RAID.

Then with the share system you can target any pool and select what mover does, being able to move from one pool to any other pool. And also select which pool should act as a cache for another pool. All generalised and standardised.

I think this will be simpler for new users to grasp especially since a few updates ago we gained the ability to make multiple cache pools and now we're gaining ZFS and you're thinking about renaming unRAID array to Primary Pool and I assume that means other kinds of pools will be called Secondary Pools which if someone only wants ZFS and doesn't want to use unRAID array's will be a little confusing.

I also think this is a great way to introduce the concept of multiple unRAID array's for users who want that. Since it's all pools you can just tell someone, sure make two pools and just set their modes to both be unRAID Arrays. Pretty simple in my mind.

Edited by Pri
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1