Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

On 1/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, jonathanselye said:

How "Soon" is "Soon"? This thread is almost 1 month old and a lot of teasing yet no actual output :)

That's the joke. Similar to duke nukem forever. soon has become the light hearted way of dealing with the seemingly interminable delays between releases.

Soon™️ has no time scale attached, it's some date in the future with no way to make a prediction. Even the developers don't have a hard timeline, when it's done is the official answer.

1 month is NOTHING in the historical scale of Soon™️.

That said, it could happen any time now. I'm beginning to think the Unraid community is unwittingly participating in a variable interval reinforcement schedule study, https://open.lib.umn.edu/intropsyc/chapter/7-2-changing-behavior-through-reinforcement-and-punishment-operant-conditioning/#stangor-ch07_s02_s02_t01

• Haha 6
On 1/27/2023 at 7:08 AM, jonathanselye said:

How "Soon" is "Soon"? This thread is almost 1 month old and a lot of teasing yet no actual output :)

Based on my experience of what I've seen the Unraid Team doing (behavioral thinking), I can actually provide some kind of an answer. Most of the betas go to a number 20 to 30 before an RC is published. They are at number 5 currently. I've never tracked the time associated with those and I think it would be a false way to think about it, depends on the features being implemented.

If you are asking for a specific date, you are out of luck, so Soon™️ .

• Like 3
On 1/10/2023 at 5:20 PM, limetech said:

... Finally, a future release will permit adding hot spares and special vdev's such as L2ARC, LOG, etc. and draid support.

@limetech You mention that a future update will allow adding special vdev's from the Unraid GUI ZFS solution, but will this mean on 6.12 release pools which have special vdev's (ie Metadata) won't import into the official implementation? Or they'll import fine, but you just can't create them though the GUI?

Thanks for all that your doing on this btw!

On 1/30/2023 at 5:54 AM, starbetrayer said:

Based on my experience of what I've seen the Unraid Team doing (behavioral thinking), I can actually provide some kind of an answer. Most of the betas go to a number 20 to 30 before an RC is published. They are at number 5 currently. I've never tracked the time associated with those and I think it would be a false way to think about it, depends on the features being implemented.

If you are asking for a specific date, you are out of luck, so Soon™️ .

Thank you for giving a good and logical answer :)

See the discussion, you can either put individual ZFS disks in the unraid array that are protected by unraid parity just like if they were xfs or btrfs, or make an actual raidz ZFS pool as an unraid pool, with its own protection.

If in array then it's as usual, if you make a raidz pool it'll likely be able to spindown but any access will require all the drives of the pool to spin up since the data is scattered. 

• Like 1

I guess an array is still necessary to start unraid? Means you still can't use ZFS without a dummy usb drive as an array? For me it's still an unnecessary overhead to use 2 dummy usb drived (1 for green status/parity). I would appriciate to include also zpool in the license model to skip the mandatory array.

Edited by Dexter84
7 minutes ago, Dexter84 said:

I guess an array is still necessary to start unraid? Means you still can't use ZFS without a dummy usb drive as an array?

It was mentioned before in this thread by Tom that for v6.12 it will still be required, but it won't for a future release, when multi arrays are supported.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It was mentioned before in this thread by Tom that for v6.12 it will still be required, but it won't for a future release, when multi arrays are supported.

In that future when multi array is supported will 30 still be the limit per array? or it will be as needed basis?

Thanks!

Edited by jonathanselye
13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I expect it will be still limited to 30, but it's mostly a guess.

I would like to see this number increase, or maybe an options to have drives set as hot spares that can be set to automatically swapped out. Right now I have 12 drives in my server and then I have a 24 disk shelf. So it would be cool if you have a drive go down or a drive that tosses out a bunch of errors that the server will just swap it out and put the other drive out... I know that this is wishful thinking though :(

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, UtahDeLorean said:

I would like to see this number increase, or maybe an options to have drives set as hot spares that can be set to automatically swapped out. Right now I have 12 drives in my server and then I have a 24 disk shelf. So it would be cool if you have a drive go down or a drive that tosses out a bunch of errors that the server will just swap it out and put the other drive out... I know that this is wishful thinking though :(

+1