Trying to move parity disk to different controller port

PFT
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I have a dual parity setup running 6.9.2. Parity 1 is in slot 0 and Parity 2 is in the adjacent slot, slot 1. Both disks are 16TB. Parity 1 has been reporting incrementing UDMA_CRC errors for some time now, which usually seem to occur when the disk is under heavy use e.g. at parity check time.

I’ve done the recommended physical checks (cabling, connector seating etc) but the issue is recurring. I thought an easy fix would be to disconnect the Sata cable to the mobo port and connect a different cable to an unused controller port, in the belief that Unraid doesn’t care which controller port a disk is connected to.

I did this but on restarting the system the Parity 1 disk is shown as missing. Being unsure how to proceed from here, I powered down the system and restored the cabling as before.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Both parity disks are connected to controller ports on the Supermicro X10 mobo, Originally (prior to switching cable to P1) P1 was connected to Sata0 and P2 to Sata1. After the switch P1 is connected to Sata2 (which was previously connected to an unused slot, slot 2).

• Solution

Check connections or try a different SATA port:

Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata2: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata4: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Dec  5 16:14:46 Tower2 kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 1 SControl 300)

SATA2 has Parity2 connected, SATA 4 has disk2, all others show as link down.

I moved the Parity 1 disk to an unused port on an AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 controller card and disk is now present. The array starts without problem, as originally expected.

I conclude there is something configured on the Mobo which means its onboard controller ports are not compatible. Next time I power up the system I'll take a look especially to see if they are configured for Raid.

But the bottom line is everything works as anticipated so thanks again for your help.