[GUIDE] How To Upgrade Samsung NVMe/SSD Firmware

Tolete

Upgraded some NVMe/SSD firmware today, the process is fairly simple.

Running the Utility does not required you to shutdown/stop the array.

Upgrades can/were done 'on-the-fly'. 

-Note your NVMe/SSD model and firmware version you have.

drive_info.png.cab7c6e92f17567e694e6cc5d36deedd.png

-Go to the downloads page, firmware section and locate your drive model and firmware.

-Copy link address.

-Download firmware files to share/location of choice.

wget https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/software-resources/Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -P /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

-Firmware files are a .iso and need to be extracted.

-I just used 7z, if you  don't have it, you can install it from the NerdTools plugin.

nerdtools.thumb.png.db73a76abda0c5b70d5211b72df53c4f.png

--Once you have 7z installed.

-Change directory to downloaded firmware file location and extract files.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

7z x Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -aoa && 7z x initrd -aoa && 7z x initrd~ -aoa

-Once files are extracted, change directory to firmware file, change permissions and Run.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/root/fumagician/ && chmod +x fumagician && ./fumagician

-Follow the prompts until completion.

install.png.a08ca24bb0b8706fd49ceda52f08d254.png

-Repeat the steps for each NVMe/SSD model you have downloading the respective firmware for each model.

🖖

Edited by Tolete
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 1
On 12/13/2022 at 1:06 PM, Elliot Daniels said:

mine goes straight to exiting when i hit continue, not quite sure what to do about that

most likely your firmware is already up to date as the screenshot provided.

'firmware is already updated on this SSD'

'press any key to continue' 

should exit you out.

Edited by Tolete
  • 1 month later...

On 1/29/2023 at 1:17 PM, nowhere99 said:

This doesn't work for the 870 EVO. The fumagician script just complains about the required files not being located in the correct path.

ERROR (7)

Firmware Files Required For the Firmware Update Process
  are Not Located in the Correct Path!!!

change filename on the commands to correspond to your respective firmware files you are downloading. follow directions carefully.

10 hours ago, jared7118 said:

You rock! Worked exactly as you described. Updated to the latest firmware! Read about this at first on Reddit (not on the UNRAID channel) and thought this would be more difficult. Seriously, thank you for this write up!!!

You are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to follow all the steps but the firmware updater does not detect all of my Samsung SSD's.

image.png.4969d6647e537db432fbe6272a2df0aa.png

I have two 970 EVO Plus drives in a cache pool together for mirroring. The drive named "Cache" has an older firmware starting with '2B' and Cache 2 already has the updated firmware starting '4B'. I'm looking to update the "Cache" NVME.

When running the updater, it only detects "Cache 2" and says that the firmware is already up to date (which is true), but it does not list out the first drive "Cache". Any ideas?

Edited by Salzgablah
Cleaned up the image.
4 hours ago, Salzgablah said:

I was able to follow all the steps but the firmware updater does not detect all of my Samsung SSD's.

image.png.4969d6647e537db432fbe6272a2df0aa.png

I have two 970 EVO Plus drives in a cache pool together for mirroring. The drive named "Cache" has an older firmware starting with '2B' and Cache 2 already has the updated firmware starting '4B'. I'm looking to update the "Cache" NVME.

When running the updater, it only detects "Cache 2" and says that the firmware is already up to date (which is true), but it does not list out the first drive "Cache". Any ideas?

hum, not sure mate. But i would try;

-give your server a reboot.

-then retry the utility.

--this command is what you need for your drive mode (970-EVO-Plus).

wget https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/software-resources/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_4B2QEXM7.iso -P /mnt/user/downloads/temp/ && cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/ && 7z x Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_4B2QEXM7.iso -aoa && 7z x initrd -aoa && 7z x initrd~ -aoa && cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/root/fumagician/ && chmod +x fumagician && ./fumagician

-if the utility is not detecting your second drive, I would 'disconnect' the up-to-date drive and run the utility again.

'In Unraid, disconnecting one of the drives that is part of a mirroring configuration (RAID 1) would have the same effect as in any other RAID 1 configuration. The remaining drive will continue to operate normally and the data on the remaining drive will still be accessible'

Once this parity check is complete, I'll first try stopping the array and running the tool again from an external drive.

If that doesn't work I'll do as you suggest and remove the 'cache 2' drive to see if it'll pick up the old FW on the 'cache' drive.

I'll report back with results. Much appreciated for your help with the instructions and troubleshooting.

No dice. Tried with the array stopped and with the cache drive out of the motherboard.

Cache 2 was removed and only cache was left installed.

image.png.50a465939032684437e28f7ac7769693.png

Firmware listed on Samsung website:

image.thumb.png.e69ffc6316f6cb90ec9d46479ae69a90.png

image.thumb.png.c63284edf1efbf66e6ba0b1144c06882.png

None of my other PC's have an nvme slot, otherwise i'd try to remove the old FW drive and update in another Mobo....I'm out of ideas.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:17 PM, nowhere99 said:

This doesn't work for the 870 EVO. The fumagician script just complains about the required files not being located in the correct path.

ERROR (7)

Firmware Files Required For the Firmware Update Process
  are Not Located in the Correct Path!!!

Same problem with my 870s.  It was required to write the ISO to a USB stick (using mkusb, rufus, etc) or burn it to a CD and boot directly from it.  Worked fine then, updating firmware from SVT01B6Q to SVT02B6Q.

9 hours ago, horridwilting said:

Cheers! I didn't have any issues updating my two 980 PRO's with the process described by OP. I had to reboot my UNRAID server after they updated but everything went totally smoothly.

Do you mean that you did the upgrade without shutting down the array? Just 'on-the-fly'?

On 3/2/2023 at 6:46 AM, MisteR86NL said:

Do you mean that you did the upgrade without shutting down the array? Just 'on-the-fly'?

I stopped my array to help make sure it isolated the disks and nothing was actively accessing them to make sure it had as few possible reasons not to work is all. Sounds like you can do it either way (which makes sense as the Windows Utility can do it on the SSD that the OS is on, etc...).

Did run the utility but it just give me the option to 'Exit' the application after ~10 seconds after hitting 'Y'. No 'Success' of other message.

Seems i have to reboot my Unraid server, which I don't like to do because it just runs without any problems 🙂

Does the new FW for the 980's the 84C error? (which happens multiple times a day :S)

On 3/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, Iceman24 said:

I get the no supported ssd detected for update either with my 970 EVO Plus. Is it possible we have versions of it that don't actually have firmware updates available for them?

No luck for me with pooled 1TB 970 Evo Plus either. Both are on firmware 2B2QEXM7. Downloaded the 4B2QEXM7 iso, but no supported SSDs supported per the tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say it worked but I do have other problems.

Tried it with 2 pooled 1Tb Samung Evo Plus 1TB on a Asus WS C246 Pro.

Generally it worked. However the tool only finds 1 Drive and updates that one drive. The second is not shown. It's shown in the BIOS and it works within Unraid. 

I tried the way described here  and I tried a USB update stick. Don't now if the problem is the board, a Bios setting or the samsung tool.

I have not verified the information, but according to a post I found about the 970 evo plus.  The poster of the question said:

I found out that the updated firmware has a Serial Number check. It is apparently designed to correct an issue that only affects a specific batch of drives, so if your drive is not on the serial number checklist it will not install.

image.thumb.png.4467fba98fdb403682c683b2ff81e9c5.png

I am also having the same message of no supported ssd's for my 970 evo plus.

• Tolete changed the title to [GUIDE] How To Upgrade Samsung NVMe/SSD Firmware