[GUIDE] How To Upgrade Samsung NVMe/SSD Firmware

Tolete

On 4/14/2023 at 2:30 AM, CybranNakh said:

I got fumagician to run, but when scanning it is not detecting my drives. 

I have my nvme’s on an asus PCIe breakout board, so it is not detecting my SSDs. Is this possibly my problem? Or are my serial numbers not eligible for update? 

It's possible that your ASUS PCIe breakout board is not allowing Samsung Magician to detect your NVMe SSDs, especially if the board does not have its own NVMe controller or if the controller is not compatible with Samsung Magician.

1. To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following steps:
  2. Check if your NVMe SSDs are detected by the system BIOS. If they are not detected, then the issue may be with the PCIe breakout board or the NVMe SSDs themselves.
  3. Check if your NVMe SSDs are compatible with Samsung Magician by visiting the Samsung website and checking the list of compatible drives. If your SSDs are not listed, then they may not be eligible for firmware updates with Samsung Magician.

Try connecting the NVMe SSDs directly to the motherboard instead of using the PCIe breakout board. If they are detected, then the issue is likely with the PCIe breakout board.

If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact ASUS support or Samsung support for further assistance.

I would also triple check and make sure that the firmware selection you are making for your drive is correct.

• 5 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 6:17 PM, nowhere99 said:

This doesn't work for the 870 EVO. The fumagician script just complains about the required files not being located in the correct path.

ERROR (7)

Firmware Files Required For the Firmware Update Process
  are Not Located in the Correct Path!!!

Exact same issue here

File downloaded - `Samsung_SSD_870_EVO_SVT02B6Q_Win.iso`

Followed all 7z commands - cd into ./root/fumagician, chmod +x, run it and get the error that the firmware files aren't in the correct path

did anyone manage to fix this?

• 1 month later...

No, its doesnt work for most of 970 Evo plus and 870 evo plus it it seems. Boot CD method doesnt work either.
It is now indicated in few places that only some of the batches (older?) of the Evo Plus 970 require the 4B2, and  2B2 is the highest firmware for the newest.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/is-anyone-else-having-issues-when-trying-to-update-their-samsung-970-evo-plus.1481103/

Edited by Mr.Khil
On 11/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, DanielPT said:

Hi :)

I have 2 x Samsung 870 SSDs.

Not sure what model and firmware version.

But i get this. Dont know it is becurse i run it in a pool?

image.thumb.png.a11df3e6ffe89febb68f1f74ced0e30d.png

Hello,

you can got to Tools > System Devices and note your drive model and mapped location.

sysdevices.png

Then just download the latest firmware. utility will tell you if drive needs upgrade or not.

Edited by Tolete
On 11/13/2023 at 12:22 AM, Tolete said:

Hello,

you can got to Tools > System Devices and note your drive model and mapped location.

sysdevices.png

Then just download the latest firmware. utility will tell you if drive needs upgrade or not.

Thanks for the reply.

I just downloaded the SMART info there i cut see that i got the latest firmware :)

• Tolete changed the title to [GUIDE] How To Upgrade Samsung NVMe/SSD Firmware
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried the FW update my 2 980 drives. it correctly finds them, does the update - givess "Firmware update complete" message but FW still previous version (1B4QFXO7) and not new version (3B4QFXO7) for both drives.

Do I have to stop the array and/or reboot?

When I rerun the update the FW is still the "old" 1B4QFXO7 version.

image.thumb.png.5d2686fa5ed3e775efabc299eb237a51.png

image.thumb.png.666533af03c2679ba40f1b5de9d7968e.png

image.thumb.png.8bf2b1d4f22278cd80861115caa98cd2.png

Edited by theone
On 12/6/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tolete said:

Upgraded some NVMe/SSD firmware today, the process is fairly simple.

Running the Utility does not required you to shutdown/stop the array.

Upgrades can/were done 'on-the-fly'. 

-Note your NVMe/SSD model and firmware version you have.

drive_info.png.cab7c6e92f17567e694e6cc5d36deedd.png

-Go to the downloads page, firmware section and locate your drive model and firmware.

-Copy link address.

-Download firmware files to share/location of choice.

wget https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/software-resources/Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -P /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

-Firmware files are a .iso and need to be extracted.

-I just used 7z, if you  don't have it, you can install it from the NerdTools plugin.

nerdtools.thumb.png.db73a76abda0c5b70d5211b72df53c4f.png

--Once you have 7z installed.

-Change directory to downloaded firmware file location and extract files.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

7z x Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -aoa && 7z x initrd -aoa && 7z x initrd~ -aoa

-Once files are extracted, change directory to firmware file, change permissions and Run.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/root/fumagician/ && chmod +x fumagician && ./fumagician

-Follow the prompts until completion.

install.png.a08ca24bb0b8706fd49ceda52f08d254.png

-Repeat the steps for each NVMe/SSD model you have downloading the respective firmware for each model.

🖖

I'm a bit confused about the last step.,  when you write "change permissions & run"; change what permissions and run what?  I see there is some obscure funmagician command, but Magician is client software and needs a drive letter.  Does this only work if you're not actually running a server?  I've completed the rest of the steps, but not sure how to actually ensure the drive boots from the extracted ISO files. 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tolete said:

Upgraded some NVMe/SSD firmware today, the process is fairly simple.

Running the Utility does not required you to shutdown/stop the array.

Upgrades can/were done 'on-the-fly'. 

-Note your NVMe/SSD model and firmware version you have.

drive_info.png.cab7c6e92f17567e694e6cc5d36deedd.png

-Go to the downloads page, firmware section and locate your drive model and firmware.

-Copy link address.

-Download firmware files to share/location of choice.

wget https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resources/software-resources/Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -P /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

-Firmware files are a .iso and need to be extracted.

-I just used 7z, if you  don't have it, you can install it from the NerdTools plugin.

nerdtools.thumb.png.db73a76abda0c5b70d5211b72df53c4f.png

--Once you have 7z installed.

-Change directory to downloaded firmware file location and extract files.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/

7z x Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso -aoa && 7z x initrd -aoa && 7z x initrd~ -aoa

-Once files are extracted, change directory to firmware file, change permissions and Run.

cd /mnt/user/downloads/temp/root/fumagician/ && chmod +x fumagician && ./fumagician

-Follow the prompts until completion.

install.png.a08ca24bb0b8706fd49ceda52f08d254.png

-Repeat the steps for each NVMe/SSD model you have downloading the respective firmware for each model.

🖖

I'm a bit confused about the last step., when you write "change permissions & run"; change what permissions and run what? I see there is some obscure funmagician command, but Magician is client software and needs a drive letter. Does this only work if you're not actually running a server? I've completed the rest of the steps, but not sure how to actually ensure the drive boots from the extracted ISO files.

Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2024 at 6:23 AM, theone said:

I tried the FW update my 2 980 drives. it correctly finds them, does the update - givess "Firmware update complete" message but FW still previous version (1B4QFXO7) and not new version (3B4QFXO7) for both drives.

Do I have to stop the array and/or reboot?

yes, a reboot will refresh the version on the drives. You can also run the SMART info and you should see the latest firmware.

Edited by Tolete
typo
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, Bmalone said:

I'm a bit confused about the last step., when you write "change permissions & run"; change what permissions and run what? I see there is some obscure funmagician command, but Magician is client software and needs a drive letter. Does this only work if you're not actually running a server? I've completed the rest of the steps, but not sure how to actually ensure the drive boots from the extracted ISO files.

"chmod +x fumagician" is changing the permissions of the file named "fumagician" to make it executable.

The command "chmod +x" means "change mode to executable." Once the permissions are changed, the "./fumagician" command is run, which executes the "fumagician" program.

you lost me 'how to actually ensure the drive boots from the extracted ISO files.' you don't boot the iso into the drive, these steps basically tell the OS, run this app, then the app does the rest.

Edited by Tolete
typo
11 hours ago, Tolete said:

"chmod +x fumagician" is changing the permissions of the file named "fumagician" to make it executable.

The command "chmod +x" means "change mode to executable." Once the permissions are changed, the "./fumagician" command is run, which executes the "fumagician" program.

you lost me 'how to actually ensure the drive boots from the extracted ISO files.' you don't boot the iso into the drive, these steps basically tell the OS, run this app, then the app does the rest.

You’re a star.  Since it was an iso I just assumed it would boot off the files.  That all makes sense now.  Appreciate it.  Can you tell I’m only 11 pages into The Linux Command Line 2nd Edition?

16 hours ago, Bmalone said:

What am I missing here?  I unzipped this and added the folder location to the command it it's telling me it doesn't exist.

samsungfw unraid issue.JPG

the firmware file you downloaded/extracted, does not have a 'root' directory in them.
-what drive are you trying to upgrade?

Ha, same happened to me, it appeared the firmware was not updates, but after a reboot it is.

Updated an 990 Pro from 3xxxx to 4xxxx, thanks OP!

##############################################################################
#                            Samsung Electronics                             #
#                Samsung SSD Firmware Update Utility Ver. 3.1                #
#                   Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (c) 2022                   #
##############################################################################

-----------------------------------------------------------
 Drive: 1
 Serial Number   : S73VNJ     
 Model           : Samsung SSD 990 PRO 1TB                 
 Firmware Version: 3B2QJXD7

Do you want to continue the firmware update? [Y/N]: y

WARNING

YOU MUST TAKE BACK UP OF ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE AS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE
  WILL OR MAY CAUSE THE LOSS OF ALL THE PRE-EXISTING DATA

Please take backup of all the data on the disk before proceeding...

Do you want to continue the firmware update? [Y/N]: 

After clicking 'Y', it takes a few seconds then a new screen showing to press any key to exit.

Edited by shpitz461
1 hour ago, Bmalone said:

a Samsung 990 NVMe drive.

if you follow the guide, it will work.
looks like the files did not extract properly for you. I just did it using the firmware file for the 990 and it worked, there is a root directory. so re-try the extract command from the guide.

Just now, Tolete said:

if you follow the guide, it will work.
looks like the files did not extract properly for you. I just did it using the firmware file for the 990 and it worked, there is a root directory. so re-try the extract command from the guide.

I'll give it another go.  Thanks