New Build - First HDD not recognized

MDA
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

New to Unraid with a fresh build.

ASRock z690 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard

LSI 9207-8i SAS Controller w/2x  SAS-> 4-SATA fan cables to support 8 drives

4 HDDs currently installed

When Unraid boots up, 1 of the HDDs are not recognized (the one plugged to cable p1). If I change the cable/plug to another, the drive is recognized. If I swap the two cables/ports on the LSI card, the other drive plugged into p1 is not recognized.  This proves the cabling is good.

Something is either wrong with Unraid or the LSI configuration. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get into the LSI BiOS. Ctrl-C and other Fnn options do not work. I can't seem to change the boot option to BIOS (or Legacy) instead of UEFi.  I have an inquiry into ASRock for that issue.

Although Unraid boots off the USB, I tried booting a systools USB to check with gparted but it won't boot although will boot into another computer.

Any ideas?

Based on my testing, I know the SAS fan cables are good.... one of the 2 ports on the LSI card itself could have an issue. I pulled it apart and tried to get a better look at it but I can't make out anything obviously wrong. I guess I'll run with the understanding at least 1 port doesn't work.  Not a good way to start my fresh build but I can't wait any longer and need this system built and running ASAP.

Perhaps someone could answer this, since Unraid identifies drives by serial number, I could also use onboard SATA too and move drives around - correct?  All drives don't need to be connected to the LSI card do they?  I doubt I'll get to needing 8 drives but that was the original build plan.

Thanks

• Solution
17 minutes ago, MDA said:

Perhaps someone could answer this, since Unraid identifies drives by serial number, I could also use onboard SATA too and move drives around - correct?  All drives don't need to be connected to the LSI card do they?  I doubt I'll get to needing 8 drives but that was the original build plan.

As long as where you connect the SATA drive passes the serial number through correctly to Unraid, then it does not matter where they are connected.