Convert Reiserf to XFS - rsync question

Hi all:

I've started the process to convert to XFS, using the mirroring process on this post:

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/File_System_Conversion#Mirroring_procedure_to_convert_drives

I've completed up to Step 8 successfully, copying my Disk 2 to Disk 8 (my swap drive).

However, when I see the final Disk2 "Used" amount and compare to the Disk 8 "Used" amount, they are slightly different. (1.20 TB vs 1.23 TB, respectively)

image.thumb.png.d6f03965abea58b2a2e2c2fdf521b95e.png

I've done a bunch of random file checking on Disk 8, and the file copy appears to be good.  

But I'm concerned something may be wrong as they don't match identically (and when I continue the steps in the process, and activate Disk8 in place of Disk 2, something will "break".)

Step 9 talks about performing a checksum, and I've researched the "-rcvPX" command, but am not finding enough clarity to know whether the command will correct any differences, by erasing or adding files to make them identical.

So, I turn to you good people for any guidance you may wish to provide 🙂

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20221209-1537.zip

1 hour ago, keyman33 said:

However, when I see the final Disk2 "Used" amount and compare to the Disk 8 "Used" amount, they are slightly different. (1.20 TB vs 1.23 TB, respectively)

I would guess that the empty filesystem of a new XFS occupies more space on your  drive than an old REISERFS.

Can't say about the rest.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, keyman33 said:

Step 9 talks about performing a checksum, and I've researched the "-rcvPX" command, but am not finding enough clarity to know whether the command will correct any differences, by erasing or adding files to make them identical.

AFAIK, Unix/Linux line commands are 'silent' (in a normal configuration) whenever they complete their task without error.  This would mean if the checksums match (and this would be true 99.99+% of the time for a copy operation), there would be no output.  I would further surmise if there were to be a checksum failure, it would only be reported by stdout.  (The terminal in this case.)  It would be up to you to decide what to do.  The file should still be on the source disk so you have an opportunity to analyze/correct/fix the problem without data loss.

Edited by Frank1940