PC died, want help with migrating drives to new PC

So my old motherboard appears dead on my old unRaid server. So I am trying to migrate the drives to a new PC. From what I have read in old posts I should just be able to plug in the drives and it should mostly work. However I have a few questions/issues that I want to get clarified before I risk all my data.

1.  Since my PC did not shut down "properly" am I going to have any issues. I did read some people had to tell unRaid "parity" is correct and was curious if that would cause issues as my system didn't shut down properly.
  2. I was using 5 drives before but the new motherboard only has 4 ports can I use a external enclosure for the last drive? Will it still recognize all the drives and setup correctly? (I don't need this drive long term but wanted to use it temporarily it was also added as an unassigned device using the "Unassigned Devices" plugin.

Any other suggestions or tips I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Edited by thors1982
  • thors1982 changed the title to PC died, want help with migrating drives to new PC

If you're saying that you had four drives on your array, presumably one of them your parity, and the fifth drive was an unassigned device then you should be OK. You might choose not to even connect the unassigned device until you're sure your array is functioning properly.

I'm pretty sure (though no sort of expert!) that you would not want to attempt to make up your "array" by mixing SATA connected and USB connected drives.

I'm just in the process of figuring out what I should do to prepare my unraid set up to upgrade the hardware from a fairly ancient Haswell era board and CPU with DDR3 to a much more modern x570+3700 set up - which is similar enough to your question for me to be watching out for better informed answers than mine!

13 hours ago, thors1982 said:

Since my PC did not shut down "properly" am I going to have any issues

If there was an unclean shutdown Unraid will start an automated parity check, but that is OK.

13 hours ago, thors1982 said:

I was using 5 drives before but the new motherboard only has 4 ports can I use a external enclosure for the last drive?

This will depend on the enclosure.