DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED

lordfiSh
Go to solution Solved by lordfiSh,

Hi, 

I found a few Thread with this Problem, but I couldn't figgure out why this happend to me. 

image.thumb.png.0771fc1118e3b667d304b81ede6cdbd9.png

The Disk seem to be fine, also works ok in Windows, but I can't get it to work in Unraid again. I stopped the Array, the Disk is still there and I can pick it, but if I start the Array the Device is disabled again. Is there a Log somewhere why the Device got disabled in the first place? 

Disk is still connected to the System, still can use the SMART. Logs attached below. Thanks

Edited by lordfiSh

My other server is backing up the data stored in the disabled disk (content is emulated)

As soon as the backup finish, i will start the rebuild.

Data are safe but how this happened, any idea?

I turn on the server abuot once a week for 3 days, then I turn if off, is it possible that powering on/off could create this situation?

Disks spin-down after 15 minutes (the server doesn't have read/write load, so the disks stay off for hours before spin-up), possible issue?

Thanks for the help

nas-diagnostics-20221220-2112.zip

SMART for disabled disk3 looks good and it recently passed extended SMART test. Emulated disk3 is mounted only showing 75G of data with contents from 3 user shares.

Should be OK to rebuild to the same disk.

33 minutes ago, Pozzo said:

My other server is backing up the data stored in the disabled disk

Since you mention backing up this one disk, I have to ask. Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

34 minutes ago, Pozzo said:

how this happened, any idea?

13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Diags are after rebooting so we can't see what happened

36 minutes ago, Pozzo said:

powering on/off could create this situation?

If all connections are good and power is good it shouldn't matter.

24 minutes ago, trurl said:

Since you mention backing up this one disk, I have to ask. Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

All the important data are also saved in other disks offline

Now that im trying to rebuild the array I cant reassign the disabled disk (step 6 of the guide)

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

When I assign the disk, it is in the selectable disk (the only) but when I click on it, disk spasce return unassigned.

Array operation show only reboot or shutdown, and flag for reboot in safe mode

I've now had the same error. I received a temperature warning for Disk 2 then a a read error. Tried rebooting and the disk came up as not installed. I've tried following the instructions posted in this thread but after stopping and starting the array I don't see any option other than unassigned. Does that mean it's time for a new disk or is there something I've missed or other things to try? Diagnostics attached.192.168.1.44-diagnostics-20221222-2146.zip

8 minutes ago, Dabront said:

I've now had the same error

Since OP and others seem to be finished with this thread I guess you can have it. This "same error" though is found in many threads on the forum, not sure why you picked this one.

I think you must be leaving a lot out of your description. Disk2 is disabled, and I see connection problems with sde, but it doesn't seem possible that this could be the original disk2, since power on for sde is only 1 hour. Emulated disk2 contains 2.5T of files which couldn't possibly have been written in only 1 hour.

13 minutes ago, Dabront said:

I've tried

Can you give us a much more detailed description of exactly what you have done?

Array has been untouched for years, all disks have been in place for a very long time. I received an over temp error, I spun the disk down. I later received a second over temp error and a read error. I rebooted and after a slow reboot the the message emailed to me was 

Event: Unraid Disk 2 error
Subject: Alert [192.168.1.44] - Disk 2 in error state (disk dsbl)
Description: WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N0J86F6L (sde)
Importance: alert

The Disk is showing as "Not installed" and I can't see any options when stopped or started to reassign. I definitely haven't made any changes to the configuration. The figure of 2.5T of files sound correct. Does that help?

• Solution

It look like this is a Problem with my Hardware. I had the same Errors when rebuilding the Disk. 

Removed 3 of my 4 RAM Sticks and the Problem is fixed (at least for Unraid). 

But Memtest doesn't find any issues, not sure what are the best steps moving forward...

Then rebuilded the Disk via this: 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:53 AM, JorgeB said:

Edited by lordfiSh