Absolute Newbie

Go to solution Solved by Hoopster,

Hello Everyone, please be patient with my question, I do hope its in the right place!, Ive installed Unraid on my terramaster F5-221 Nas Drive, I found the Terramaster software extremely flaky and decided to ditch it. I installed unraid and like the look of it so iI have purchased the basic package today, I may be wrong but I thought I may be able to make a backup of my USB stick which is inside the Terramaster case and means a teardown to get at it, but I note in my dashboard that the option to copy the stick is unavailable anyway , can someone please explain why?

From that same GUI page, you can also share the flash drive.  By default, the flash drive is not shared.   This is done since it is a security risk.  This risk can mitigated by making the share 'Private'.  See below:

image.png.0f2a16ae5c3ea0d174afe7bbf4d4abd5.png

Note that even with the share being private, I have restricted access even further by making it read-only.   These settings would allow either 'user' or 'smbuser' to make a backup copy of the flash drive by just copying the entire contents of the share. (As a bit of education for you, 'user' is restricted to my personal PC and 'smbuser' is all of the PC computers on the LAN.  I even restrict myself to read only access to this share in case my PC would get hit with Ransomware.  This setting will prevent that software from being able to encrypt the flash drive!  If I need write access to the flash drive, I can quickly change the setting for 'user' to read-write.  When done, I would then change it back to read-only.)

Edited by Frank1940