New Flash Drive Recommendation??

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

So I've had my original USB flash drive that I bought from Lime Tech for about 12 years I think.  It's 2GB and I can no longer make backups since I have less then 1GB left.  What FLASH drive is recommended now?

edit....or can I use a SSD drive, what is better to use?  I want into last, think the current one is a Lexar drive.

Thanks 

Edited by squirrellydw
  • Solution

Look for a USB flash drive from a name-brand manufacturer that actually manufactures its own memory chips.  Purchase the drive from a trusted source.  (Make that you are actually buying that trusted source as places like Amazon rent out 'store space' on their site.  Apparently, there are a fair number of counterfeit USB drives in the marketplace!)   Get a physically large one as possible for maximum heat dissipation.  Remember that its size should be 32GB or smaller.  (There are ways to use larger drives but they are really hacks.)  There no need for the speed of a USB3 flash drive as Unraid only loads about 1GB of data at boot time and then basically ignores the flash drive unless there are software or user configuration updates, and USB2 drives tend to run cooler.  (Plus, with some MBs, there are problems with the boot drive being 'lost' when plugged into USB3 ports.)

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1