connecting multiple unraid instances

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

Hello everyone, 

Trying to figure out the best way to do this.  I currently have my 1 server that I use for plex and everything else, and its getting a little full of stuff.  So my plan is to buy a Dell R730, and move all of my Containers and VM over to that except for Plex.

My first server will be my Plex server and data storage.  The 2nd server will host all the other containers/VM that I use now.  This includes all the containers that support plex, such as all the arr's.  

My question is how to set this up, so I can have all the containers on one unraid instance, yet all the data on another unraid instance, and the one unraid instance be able to access/see that data and move data around on that server.

Like radarr on unraid 2 will see something needs to be downloaded and will download it to download share on unraid 1, and then move it to my movie share on the array of unraid 1 etc etc etc.  I'm just not sure if I will have issues with this considering the containters will be on a different unraid instance, and am wanting to make sure I understand everything before I go and do this.

I was going to get a Nic 10 card for each server and connect them directly, but i'm not sure if that is the best way or even necessary, or if I should just connect them both to my switch.

Thanks!!

Edited by coltonc18
clarification
  • Solution
3 minutes ago, coltonc18 said:

My question is how to set this up, so I can have all the containers on one unraid instance, yet all the data on another unraid instance, and the one unraid instance be able to access/see that data and move data around on that server.

Mount the relevant shares from the other server via Unassigned Devices, and then pass those remote shares to your containers.  It's a very common setup / situation