[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore v2.5

KluthR

2 minutes ago, KluthR said:

this behavior occurs sometimes. Due to lack of diagnosis inside the old plugin, I please you to try the new plugin with unraid 6.12+

Ok, I'll try to update to 6.12 as soon as I have enough free time to address the permission issues that seem to come with that update. Thanks for your time

2 hours ago, KluthR said:

It could be, yes. I think the Abort function was broken after I implemented separate archive function.

TBH: I dont want to take any more time for the old plugin. It is definitively working with the new one.

this behavior occurs sometimes. Due to lack of diagnosis inside the old plugin, I please you to try the new plugin with unraid 6.12+

Is the new plugin 6.11 compatible? My unraid installation tell me I'm up to date on 6.11.5

Hello, 

I am currently still deployed on CA Backup / Restore Appdata, due to some of the concerns when the repo was forked a few months back as there were dev concerns reported (previous thread).

I am curious how things are coming along as I would like to consider moving to the latest repo. Anything to be noted before moving to the latest (issues, bugs, errors, specific deployment processes)?

Current version:
image.thumb.png.98eeae563a0215682cd137293c5d7fc9.png

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Toby-ch said:

Can you find something in the log that causes the error?

Observiums files changed because you set it to „Dont stop“. That causes an error for backup verification.

4 hours ago, bombz said:

I am curious how things are coming along as I would like to consider moving to the latest repo.

Best option is to wait until Unraid 6.12 is stable. Update to 6.12 and install „Appdata Backup“. Ca.backup2 will be EOL with Unraid 6.11.5. see first post.

Edited by KluthR
18 minutes ago, Blade said:

OK would be awesome because I think something happend yesterday with the backup and my parity check running and caused unraid to just go off into its own world and not respond to anything

You can pause the parity check during backup using the parity check tuning plugin.

24 minutes ago, KluthR said:

How does that work?

If you install the parity check tuning plugin then it has an option in its settings to pause a parity check while the backup is running and resume it afterwards.   This is independent of the other features the plugin provides.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, KluthR said:

Best option is to wait until Unraid 6.12 is stable. Update to 6.12 and install „Appdata Backup“. Ca.backup2 will be EOL with Unraid 6.11.5. see first post.

Hello,
Wait till 6.12 is stable, yet update to 6.12... that's confusing. (yes I saw the first post).
Was reaching out to clarify what maybe was missing.

I understand 'Appdata Backup/Restore v2' is EOL, however there were concerns with V2.5 when it was picked up and maintained, so I stuck with 2.0 until 2.5 became stable.

I suppose sticking to 2.0 until 6.12 is released will be the best course of action as auto-backup is currently not operational (based on the first post) in 6.11.x

Auto update is sometimes messing. The issues all are talking about comes, because the „2.0“ is broken and dont inform you about backup errors. 2.5 fixes that and of course report issues if there were some before.

since 6.12 is releasing the next days you can wait for it to update straight to Appdata.Backup. V2.5 will be EOL as well then

1 hour ago, KluthR said:

Auto update is sometimes messing. The issues all are talking about comes, because the „2.0“ is broken and dont inform you about backup errors. 2.5 fixes that and of course report issues if there were some before.

since 6.12 is releasing the next days you can wait for it to update straight to Appdata.Backup. V2.5 will be EOL as well then

Ah OK. Appreciate this information.

I have been checking my share where my backups populate with 2.0 (which I currently have deployed) everything seems OK, however good to know regarding the reporting that 2.0 does not inform/log.

I suppose I can wait until 6.12 (stable) before updating this app.
Once 6.12 stable releases, this app (2.5) will be EOL as you stated. Will there be another new thread created or forked to 'Appdata Backup/Restore v3'?

Edited by bombz

Hi,

Im currently maintaining offsite backups seperately from the backup tool, essentially rsync in a script seperately to the backup process, would it be appropriate to include a configurable rsync/scp/ftp step inside the tool, alternatively is a supported way of adding the --rsyncable flag to the compression step in the backup ?

Three things. First, THANK YOU! I realized this weekend I'm deep down the rabbit hole and was risking a LOT of lost time due potential cache drive failure and loss of appdata. Put a second one in the machine and taken care of. THEN found this app and have begun the process of figuring everything out.

Second, I'd like to echo @acook who requested that Dockers only be turn off, in turn, as they are backed up.  I'm not sure how painful that would be to implement, but it would certainly help reduce downtime on the end of the user.

Third, and somewhat related... any chance of having a progress bar or percentage report for backup and verification (and restore?). I jumped in, not realized I had 295GB of /appdata and the world came to a screeching halt (and screeching from my family). I had no idea the timing! Took about 1h20m to backup (which I could monitor by size of tar file compared to appdata folder). Now I'm at 2h10m and still "verifying" the backup.

NOTE: I _may_ or _may not_ be experiencing a data rebuild simultaneous to this evolution! But a progress indicator and/or estimate would still be very helpful!