unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta9 Available

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this!!

So far, the only issue I've encountered is on a Snow Leopard box (still testing Lion):

Screen_shot_2011-07-13_at_7.57.31_PM.png

I got this when trying to connect.  See if it's an account issue on my side.  I do have the mode set to Secure (should it be private for AFP?)

[EDIT]

Same error on Lion.  Switches to read only mode.  Here are the AFP settings for the one share having issues:

Screen_shot_2011-07-13_at_8.02.41_PM.png

If I go to my TV share, it's fine.  The only differences are:

(1) Movies share has about 800 movies on it, TV share has about 3 videos on it.

(2) Plex Media Manager is already pointed to the Movies share.  No idea if this has any bearing on it, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

[EDIT 2]

FIXED IT!!

http://code.google.com/p/backmyfruitup/wiki/SetupGuideVersion3#Common_problems

A little Googling revealed that it's an Apple DB issue:

cd /mnt/user/Movies
rm -fR .AppleDouble
rm -fR .AppleDesktop
rm -Rf .AppleDB

Fixed me right up.... :)

i'm hoping with all these new betas 5.0 will be released soon

I am too, but no need to rush it.

We went through four beta 8 versions in what a week or two?  A lot seems to be going into 5.0 and I'd rather have a long beta cycle that addresses all serious errors than migrate my machine to it, and find something serious later.

i'm hoping with all these new betas 5.0 will be released soon

I am too, but no need to rush it.

We went through four beta 8 versions in what a week or two?  A lot seems to be going into 5.0 and I'd rather have a long beta cycle that addresses all serious errors than migrate my machine to it, and find something serious later.

exactly,  even though many of the issues being addresses affect those with  3TB drives, eventually, they will be the norm.

I think we need to get the addon procedures ironed out before 5.0 should go final, unless Tom has changed his mind. It would be nice to have all the tools required to develop addons (with auto start/stop, etc.).

I've set something up based on some posts here, but it's by far official and definitely a hack job.

I think we need to get the addon procedures ironed out before 5.0 should go final, unless Tom has changed his mind. It would be nice to have all the tools required to develop addons (with auto start/stop, etc.).

I've set something up based on some posts here, but it's by far official and definitely a hack job.

Right, this needs to be done, then 5.0 released, then onto 5.1.

I appreciate the quick response for AFP issues. I will be testing in the next hour at home on Lion and 10.6.

I have another suggestion! Is it possible to enable/disable Avahi on either SMB or AFP?

What's the best way to handle this?  At present avahi is considered part of the 'AFP' suite.  So it gets started if, and only if AFP is enabled.  I threw in -SMB suffix, well, because I could... I don't know what's the best solution for an OS X environment.  Is there any use of AVAHI outside of AFP?

I thought of adding onto the AFP configuration page option of enabling/disabling advertisement of the -SMB service.. is this the correct approach?  Is necessary/desirable to have the suffix configurable as well?

I appreciate the quick response for AFP issues. I will be testing in the next hour at home on Lion and 10.6.

I have another suggestion! Is it possible to enable/disable Avahi on either SMB or AFP?

Also, 'savestheday' above had to delete the .AppleDB directory in order to restore proper operation of AFP on the share.  This *should* not have been necessary.

The way I use it at home, SMB is only for Disk and Flash shares. I personally want SMB to be completely invisible.

AFP is really the only service that needs it. SMB advertises itself, in a way that both PC's and Macs can see.

I guess you could create an exclusion, so if you want SMB to be the "main" service, you could have either one advertised? But you'd need to disable advertisement for AFP to turn it on with SMB?

Also some logs for you:

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk5/Backup (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk1/Documentaries (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk1/HD Movies (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk1/Movies (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk4/Music (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk1/Storage (95) Operation not supported

Jul 14 16:34:08 Media shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk1/TV (95) Operation not supported

What's the best way to handle this?  At present avahi is considered part of the 'AFP' suite.  So it gets started if, and only if AFP is enabled.  I threw in -SMB suffix, well, because I could... I don't know what's the best solution for an OS X environment.  Is there any use of AVAHI outside of AFP?

I thought of adding onto the AFP configuration page option of enabling/disabling advertisement of the -SMB service.. is this the correct approach?  Is necessary/desirable to have the suffix configurable as well?

This sounds good to me. AVAHI for SMB makes it easier to access the flash drive from a Mac. Can there be an option to share the flash via AFP as well? Perhaps check boxes that allows selection of either or both?

I'm not home this week so I can't check the latest beta, but has the NFS configuration options field been added back?

OK - AFP works with Lion. However, it does not work with TimeMachine. Netatalk version 2.2 does, however it is in late beta stage at this point. I've seen reports of it being stable enough for release..   In fact there's a bit of bad blood inside Netatalk. They can't pay the bills, so aren't releasing Version 2.2 as of yet. Apparently Netgear is paying, and they have 2.2 final in their hot little hands!

One bug: The TimeMachine enable and disable drop down menu doesn't work. It's supposed to create a .com.apple.timemachine.supported file right?

OK - AFP works with Lion. However, it does not work with TimeMachine.

But still works with TimeMachine on Leopard/Snow Leopard?

Netatalk version 2.2 does, however it is in late beta stage at this point. I've seen reports of it being stable enough for release..   In fact there's a bit of bad blood inside Netatalk. They can't pay the bills, so aren't releasing Version 2.2 as of yet. Apparently Netgear is paying, and they have 2.2 final in their hot little hands!

Where do you see reference to this?  If you want, send to me via email: [email protected]

Edit: nevermind.. found it

One bug: The TimeMachine enable and disable drop down menu doesn't work. It's supposed to create a .com.apple.timemachine.supported file right?

The drop down selection for Export "Yes - TimeMachine" just sets "options:tm" for the volume in /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default.  I don't know exactly what netatalk does when that option is defined.

TimeMachine still working with Leopard and Snow Leopard from my testing.

Sent email regarding the Netatalk "gone broke" issue..

Regarding bug in TM drop down menu, I'll hold my tongue for now. It all appears to be working. I had a few .com.apple.timemachine.supported files in a few of my shares  ???

Netatalk 2.2 should fix the disconnect issue we're getting when a TM backup initiates. From my testing at work, Netatalk 2.2 b4 has been pretty solid (that's testing with a few dozen concurrent connections). I'm sure for a beta release of unRAID, the most recent 2.2 build will be fine :)

The mover script for shifting things off the cache drive does not seem to be running. I have not manually run it yet, just in case you need to test something. Included my syslog. Seem to be an error about an invalid user, although it comes up at all random times...

ul 14 06:01:01 Tower crond[1310]: ignoring /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root- (non-existent user)

Shawn

syslog.txt

The mover script for shifting things off the cache drive does not seem to be running. I have not manually run it yet, just in case you need to test something. Included my syslog. Seem to be an error about an invalid user, although it comes up at all random times...

ul 14 06:01:01 Tower crond[1310]: ignoring /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root- (non-existent user)

Shawn

That line is from an addon, not unRAID.  it probably is from the monthly-parity-check or the DS_Store cleanup unMenu package.

I would like to add a vote for including the netatalk latest beta for us AFP folks - the current version is just not very good, rather have the BETA!

What is different/better about the latest netatalk beta?  Evidently there's a disconnect issue with TimeMachine in latest 2.2-beta4 which is fixed in version 2.2.0; but NetAFP gave me two options for getting 2.2.0:

a) wait until they "reopen" the whole project ("a few weeks/months") <-- a direct quote

b) pay them 8000 euro (!)

I would like to add a vote for including the netatalk latest beta for us AFP folks - the current version is just not very good, rather have the BETA!

What is different/better about the latest netatalk beta?  Evidently there's a disconnect issue with TimeMachine in latest 2.2-beta4 which is fixed in version 2.2.0; but NetAFP gave me two options for getting 2.2.0:

a) wait until they "reopen" the whole project ("a few weeks/months") <-- a direct quote

TimeMachine support for Lion is one of the majors. I think you'd be safe to put the latest beta into unRAID. For small appliances like unRAID (not really sharing to more than a dozen users), we're not pushing Netatalk to it's limits :) 

I can't forsee unRAID 5 coming out of beta for the next few weeks anyway, so the final release might well coenside with the 2.2 release of Netatalk!

TimeMachine support for Lion is one of the majors. I think you'd be safe to put the latest beta into unRAID. For small appliances like unRAID (not really sharing to more than a dozen users), we're not pushing Netatalk to it's limits :) 

I can't forsee unRAID 5 coming out of beta for the next few weeks anyway, so the final release might well coenside with the 2.2 release of Netatalk!

I'm able to build latest netatalk, so I think I might provide it as an "add-on" package, that would overwrite the current version 2.1.5 at boot time.  Here is a thread that talks about performance issues:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3219802&group_id=8642&atid=108642