Disk Array Disk 1 read errors

enlinks
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Good afternoon everyone,

Currently have left the array is the broken state and collected the diagnostics report, not sure if I should proceed with a reload at this time or anything else you'd like for me to collect prior to that?

The impacted disk is WDC_WD40EZAZ-00SF3B0_WD-WX12D412T4UJ (sdc), currently mounted at (sdn).

To add I did have an issue about a month or 2 ago where all 8 disks in my array generated read errors. I wasn't sure what happened but the issue never happened again. I have the diagnostics from that as well if you think that would be helpful.

legion-diagnostics-20221226-1405.zip

Edited by enlinks
Forgot to mention impacted disk
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Disk dropped and reconnected again and SMART looks OK, this is usually a power/cable problem.

OK great thank you for confirming that. Excuse my ignorance but is there a other things I can validate to troubleshoot besides swapping cables and whatnot?

I only ask because I don't want to wait and see if that's the problem after swapping. The problem is either my HBA, the QSFP cables, or my disk shelf.

I know things like the megacli and storcli can give some outputs on the controller but not sure if that's usable here as I don't see those packages under the nerd pack.

Thanks @JorgeB, I ran a short test with no errors but had to restart the extended (it was running for a few days) because I lost power the other day and my UPS isn't the best so the shutdown triggered due to the UPS time remaining. I'm attempting to run the extended test again to see if I can get it to complete this time.

Edited by enlinks
typo
  • 2 weeks later...

@JorgeB just a final update on this. There seems to be something wrong with the WD Blues being able to do the extended test. The extended test is hung at 90% as I've tried running the test on 2 of them, Disk1 has been running since the 3rd and I started Disk2 about 3 days ago. However my WD Golds the Extended test finished in about a day or two (wasn't exactly watching the time).

I'm going to try to swap out cables a monior and troubleshoot from that angle, thanks again!

• Like 1