Recommendations for Pre-Built Systems?

explosionhole

I have little interest in building my own PC anymore, however I am very opinionated about the software that it runs upon, which is why I am looking towards Unraid (so long as the base H/W is capable, of course - but is less of a modern-day concern I hope).

A number of threads exist for QNAP devices, mostly from those who extend the life of an existing system. I don't see many choosing QNAP as a new device with the sole intention to run Unraid from it. However, it ticks many boxes for me in particular.

Are there other options?

I currently have an old HP Microserver (gen 2 I think?) running Ubuntu Server and I have been maintaining it. Hoping to fall back upon admin GUIs and stuff though, rather than being a home Linux Admin... The latest HP model looks great but too expensive and high-end for my needs I think though...

Use case:

• Home server - backups, media, file storage
  • Min 2 bay drives of high storage, with redundancy, probably 4 bay
  • RAM for O/S operations & performance
  • Full Docker experience - Synology uses it's own packaging and isn't the default install or latest version
  • Intel/AMD64 processor, for simplicity with Docker usage
  • Possibly run couple VMs
  • 16GB RAM would be my minimum - hell I have that much in my laptop!
  • Some SSD or caching for improved performance
  • Remote access and usage - Nextcloud, Bitwarden, etc
  • Power usage - I had been looking at a M1 Mac Mini, it just seems to have enough drawbacks to research other H/W units.

Appreciate any inputs...

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat.

I have my main x570/5900X Unraid server at home, but I want to have an off-site backup at my parents (plus running a few dockers for them (home assistant, cameras, etc).

I'm looking into building/buying hardware to accommodate.

I'm heavily considering something like the TS-473A.

But maybe just a HDD stack + RPI would work too.

Idk, just started looking around.

In the end, I bought a HPE Microserver Gen8, which I replaced with the highest-recommended spec CPU (4 core, hyper threading), new 16GB (combined), 4x HDD and 1x SSD. Needed Intel CPU for the Docker images. Well designed hardware for NAS purposes.

I had loads of trouble getting it deployed, because it uses older BIOS and boot capabilities. Look for my posts! But there is one with the resolution.

Only just past this, and into first data copying and container / app deployments on it, so cannot comment on the performance as yet.