Intel 13900K and Z790 build

Hi Guys,

It is time to replace my Unraid server (HP Z600) with something a bit newer and better speced. I was also thinking to replace my main desktop (4770K) and virtualize it within Unraid. I was looking at an Intel 13900K with Asus Proart Z790 Creator and 64GB of DDR5 as I am keen on the efficiency cores for Unraid (the perf cores for VMs), 10G LAN, amount of M.2 and SATA ports it has available (I am aware if I have an NVME in the 4th M.2 slot I lose the SATA 5-8 ports, so that is fine, I only have 3 array drives currently and I am sure I can work around it if needed) in addition to the multiple PCIE 16x ports.

I run Plex, Tdarr, Frigate some ML stuff like Deepstack etc, Home assistant in a VM, so need dual PCIe 16x slots (as I have an RTX 3080 for the VM replacing my desktop and a GTX 1070 for Unraid "stuff") and need to be able to pass through USB devices to the desktop VM and Home assistant

I will want to play games using the VM with the 3080, but I don't really play online games with the Battlenet and anti cheat stuff, so I don't see that being an issue for me. I am not looking to get the absolute max gaming performance either.

The spec may seem overkill, but I generally only upgrade once every 8 or so years.

I am keen to hear from anyone who knows about the Marvell AQtion 10Gb Ethernet in Unraid, and the Z790 IOMMU groups and config in general to hopefully figure out if this board will work for me.

Thanks!

Im using these Ethernet cards, one on unRaid and second one on my main PC, they great and work fine.

as far as IOMMU, im on z690, i wouldn't buy z790 since its probably not yet fully supported.

Right now i cant run VM and getting strange errors, all i did was passing trought NVMe and iGPU and enabling them in VM and then it just doesn't work, i get strange errors.

Maybe Z690 and z790 is not supported yet on unRaid

I made a post with screenshots of the errors, if you want take a look

HELP, cant create an empty VM to passthrough NVMe: VM creation error - Virtualizing Unraid - Unraid

Edited by Hexenhammer