2 User Rig

Kich902

Hi,

I intend to build a 2 user rig with these parts; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4wQ2m. Intended purpose of the rig is solely productivity works i.e. 3D & 2D design works, video and photo editing.

A brief breakdown:

• The Crucial 500Gb SSD for cache
  • The two Crucial 250Gb NVMes for two Windows VMs
  • The two HDDs are obviously for the array, the 7200rpm 8Tb parity and the 5400rm 4tb for data

I'd like to hear the communities' thoughts and also between Intel's 12th Gen CPUs with the performance and efficiency cores vs AMD 5000 series, which would be best when it comes to the thread mapping for VMs and dockers. Thanks.

Edited by Kich902
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really a bad Idea.  Here is a great video to compare AMD and Intel to figure out your needs when it comes to work or play

The ACTUAL Difference Between Intel and AMD

I ran two VM W11 instances on my unraid that was utilizing (3 cores/each) from a i7 5930k and (16gb/per) from my 32gb ram and it as decent (each VM had a GTX 770 4GB).  However, even though most docker containers will not utilize the CPU, unraid will need a core or so and you will need more ram for docker containers as well. 

We were not creating heavy workloads so things did run smooth for the most part, the obviously the more cores the better.

Also, I added a PCIE type C expansion card to run hubs rather than miles of USB cables to my workstations (PCI Express to 4-Port Type C HUB) and just ran extended HDMI cables.

Another useful thing I switched to was the implementation of a SAS card (not raid card) to use more hard drives and better cable management. And i know you want a gaming type mother board, but to get one with more PCIE slots would be better because you are not using bridging them and you can add more down the like, such as audio controllers as well or ethernet ports.

there is also a pretty cool case close to your price that can hold more hard drives (Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black Brushed Aluminum)

Sorry if this was not much help, but some outside thoughts gets the gears moving.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:43 PM, MR.ROBOT said:

Not really a bad Idea.  Here is a great video to compare AMD and Intel to figure out your needs when it comes to work or play

The ACTUAL Difference Between Intel and AMD

I ran two VM W11 instances on my unraid that was utilizing (3 cores/each) from a i7 5930k and (16gb/per) from my 32gb ram and it as decent (each VM had a GTX 770 4GB).  However, even though most docker containers will not utilize the CPU, unraid will need a core or so and you will need more ram for docker containers as well. 

We were not creating heavy workloads so things did run smooth for the most part, the obviously the more cores the better.

Also, I added a PCIE type C expansion card to run hubs rather than miles of USB cables to my workstations (PCI Express to 4-Port Type C HUB) and just ran extended HDMI cables.

Another useful thing I switched to was the implementation of a SAS card (not raid card) to use more hard drives and better cable management. And i know you want a gaming type mother board, but to get one with more PCIE slots would be better because you are not using bridging them and you can add more down the like, such as audio controllers as well or ethernet ports.

there is also a pretty cool case close to your price that can hold more hard drives (Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black Brushed Aluminum)

Sorry if this was not much help, but some outside thoughts gets the gears moving.

I settled on Intel due to the Quick Sync feature that's an added advantage for video editing software, especially Adobe Premiere.

That Fractal case is nowhere near my price point for a case, at $234.99 is waaaaay to much for my use case. The case i need just has to hold 3HDDs and some SSDs, that's all. High storage requirements is not needed. 

The USB hub also will not be necessary. I'm using screens with USB hubs and so will be passing whole USB controllers to each VW and use a type A to type B long (quality) cable. External hubs don't function well with a certain plugin (usbipd) that I'll be using.

As for motherboard, so long as it can hold and run two GPUs and is sufficient.

Edited by Kich902
grammar correction