Is the LSI 9220-8i (flashed to IT mode) considered good or would you recommend I steer clear?

Good evening all,

I hope that someone could share some wisdom with regards to this HBA card (an IBM M1015 [LSI 9220-8i] card) as I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one.

Firstly I'm a complete n00b when it comes to HBA's and never used one before but have been an avid UnRAID user for several years now.

What I intend to do is, in the effort of saving energy, I plan to move my current backup UnRAID NAS and virtualise it on Promox so I can host other VM's too (this isn't my primary NAS, just my backup server that I rsync data to from my primary NAS regularly), previously I've always purchased motherboards with a high SATA port count but as I plan to to virtualise UnRAID (which I have already read the instructions on an watched many YouTube videos) I will ideally need an HBA controller so I can pass that through to the VM.

Does anyone know if there are any downsides to this particular HBA (specifically the IBM M1015 SAS/SATA 6Gbps LSI 9220-8i), is this considered OLD maybe and would I benefit from a better HBA card?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice :)

No problem for 9220-8i or 9240-8i, but we usually flash it to IT mode.

6 hours ago, Bobby Allen said:

virtualise UnRAID

pass that through to the VM

Passthrough to either one or you need two HBA.

What I intend to do is, in the effort of saving energy, I plan to move my current backup UnRAID NAS

7x24 ? Otherwise, not much power save.