Notification if Unraid is down

Hi there, I tried searching the entire web for an answer to a simple question. Is there an elegant option to alert/notify via e-mail/telegram or whatsoever if your unraid server is down. I had a webserver running within unraid with https://uptimerobot.com/ as monitoring tool which kinda worked. But than I put everything behind a vpn server for security reasons.

Thanks!

Well, the server won't be able to do anything by itself if it is down.  Be it a power outage, system lock up, etc, it can't do anything.  That would be like expending someone to reply to an email "If you don't receive this email, let me know..."

So there really is only two models that work, and both rely on another system. 

You already mentioned Uptime Robot, which queries your server for a response.  No response?  They send you a notification.

The other model would be your server communicating with another system.  Maybe it is something simple as a heartbeat, maybe it is full blown system statistics.  The remote system would need some automation to identify when your server goes quiet, and then send you a notification.

The first model is much simpler to set up.  But if you have everything locked down, that's an issue.  The second model is more complex to set up, but it is easier to establish a secure connection out of the server.

Thanks for your reply! I'll look in to the "first model", seems the most simple solution.

/my2cents: It should be a nice feature in the My Servers Beta plugin. It's now showing offline or online if the unraid server is offline or online. Simple notification and voila.

Edited by reinv
  • Like 1
On 1/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, IFireflyl said:

I have my Unraid server connected to a UPS, and then I have the UPS settings setup to cleanly shutdown the server if a power outage occurs, and it also sends me an email. I don't know if that's an option you would want to utilize, but it has worked for me.

What sort of UPS did you go with, and how did you automate the transmission? I'd love to create an outages map on my website to share with my server users!

On 12/31/2022 at 10:21 AM, reinv said:

This is nice: https://uptimerobot.nolt.io/61 they are planning udp support so wireguard vpn will be reachable via uptimerobot. 

Do you have any tips on integration once they complete implementation on their end? I've never worked on anything like this before! I'd love to create a webpage to share with friends/family so they can see when my server has outages. I think it'd also be nice if i got an email notification so that i could add a webpage comment addressing how long i expect the outage might last. This could be useful for everything from power outages to unRAID maintenance when I'm upgrading versions!

3 hours ago, trevor4n said:

What sort of UPS did you go with, and how did you automate the transmission? I'd love to create an outages map on my website to share with my server users!

I went with this behemoth:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Protector-BR1500MS2-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible/dp/B08GRY1W93/

That's probably way overkill for most people (myself included). That particular model comes with a cable that you plug into the back of the UPS, and then you plug the other end into a USB-A port on your Unraid server. Unraid has a built in UPS manager that is found in Settings > UPS Settings. Having said that, I downloaded Network UPS Tool (NUT) from the Community Apps to use that as my UPS manager instead of Unraid.

image.thumb.png.90266a2c7ddcd3eb68e1996e3bd6fe02.png

image.thumb.png.1cb4bdb6102252183734c099e12d8259.png

You can edit the shutdown settings to do a clean shutdown of your Unraid server after X amount of time on battery, after the battery has less than X% of charge remaining, or as soon as the power goes out. I would always recommend using battery percentage over amount of time on battery though. Batteries have diminishing returns over time, and you don't want to say, "Let's have this on battery for X minutes because I know that works," and then one time you find out that the X minutes was longer than your UPS could hold a charge. That would result in an unclean shutdown, and that could lead to potential data loss.

Edited by IFireflyl
On 1/2/2023 at 5:08 PM, IFireflyl said:

I have my Unraid server connected to a UPS, and then I have the UPS settings setup to cleanly shutdown the server if a power outage occurs, and it also sends me an email. I don't know if that's an option you would want to utilize, but it has worked for me.

That's also a nice option! 

On 1/6/2023 at 9:56 PM, trevor4n said:

Do you have any tips on integration once they complete implementation on their end? I've never worked on anything like this before! I'd love to create a webpage to share with friends/family so they can see when my server has outages. I think it'd also be nice if i got an email notification so that i could add a webpage comment addressing how long i expect the outage might last. This could be useful for everything from power outages to unRAID maintenance when I'm upgrading versions!

Uptime robot has a neat webpage, you can set certain alerts for certain devices and users. I also have Uptimekuma as docker running in Unraid. You can also set different  monitoring options and notifications for services running.