Folder in use cannot rename (can delete)

Hi so I was trying to organize our family photos by moving stuff around but once I open(and close) a single photo or video I can NO longer change the Folder the file sits in.

it says the folder is in use. I tried it on multiple machines to see if it was my windows 11 machine. 

I can delete the entire folder with files in it without getting the same message "folder/file is in use" because I thought maybe vlc/mpv player would still have the video file open.

I tried: ulimit -Sn ulimit -Hn 80000 and installing open files plugin but there arent a ton of files open. its just that once I open a file It becomes open and I can no longer move it. Delete works fine though.

as a test I opened a random tv show. once opened in vlc I close it. then go the parent folder and try to change season name: NOPE folder in use BUT delete works just fine and now the whole season 6 folder is gone.Screenshot_20221230_131858.thumb.png.cb4ab9a85c1b96ddff9bbd7ee681d112.png

On my other server it works just fine. I can open videofiles and rename the folder it sits in no problemo.

serverprime-diagnostics-20221230-1313.zip

Edited by BelgarionNL
updated
  • 2 months later...

I had the same issue with Windows 11 connecting to 6.11.5 but I think I got the reason and the solution.

As soon as I opened a folder, I could not rename it because it was in use. According to Process Explorer it was in use by the very same app that tried to rename (Windows' own explorer.exe but I have tried Q-Dir and Free Commander too and they show the same behaviour).

Then I thought fine, I will use the workaround of opening the DoubleCommander Docker that I have installed.......   Wait a minute......   

I stopped the DoubleCommander docker and hey presto, I could edit folder names again. 

Of course instead of closing the docker, you can edit names in there if you like. 

Edited by Heijxje
2 hours ago, Heijxje said:

I will use the workaround of opening the DoubleCommander Docker that I have installed......

Just as a general thing you shouldn't leave file manager containers running. They generally do not have the same access security controls in place, so anyone that stumbles over the webui for the container suddenly has full access without entering any credentials.