install/design question

First off, please forgive me if this is this question is answered elsewhere or if this is the wrong area to ask this question, but I have tried doing some searches and can't find exactly what I am looking for.

So my question is this, does unRAID have to by installed and run from a USB flash drive?  I know it is designed that way, but is it a requirement.  Before you just blow me off, let me explain.

I have a CF flash card with a CF to IDE adapter basically giving me a small budget SSD drive that can be run internally like a normal HD.  I am wondering if I can install unRAID on this setup and run internally rather than having a USB drive sticking out of the box.

Thanks,

Mark

First off, please forgive me if this is this question is answered elsewhere or if this is the wrong area to ask this question, but I have tried doing some searches and can't find exactly what I am looking for.

So my question is this, does unRAID have to by installed and run from a USB flash drive?  I know it is designed that way, but is it a requirement.  Before you just blow me off, let me explain.

I have a CF flash card with a CF to IDE adapter basically giving me a small budget SSD drive that can be run internally like a normal HD.  I am wondering if I can install unRAID on this setup and run internally rather than having a USB drive sticking out of the box.

Thanks,

Mark

You will not be able to register the Plus or Pro version to the CF Card.  The unique GUID od the USB drive is required to register for a paid version of unRAID.

Thanks,

Mark

You can install and run it in that way, (I have that on one motherboard I will eventually use to upgrade my older server.  Great motherboard, but will not boot from its much older USB 1.0 port.  It is not an issue, as all it needs is the .key file... but you will still need the USB flash drive with the unique GUID for it to validate against if you are running anything more than the free version with 2 data drives.

You can install and run it in that way, (I have that on one motherboard I will eventually use to upgrade my older server.  Great motherboard, but will not boot from its much older USB 1.0 port.   It is not an issue, as all it needs is the .key file... but you will still need the USB flash drive with the unique GUID for it to validate against if you are running anything more than the free version with 2 data drives.

Joe,

You bring up and interesting point which I would like to clarify.  I have plenty of USB drives which I could register to, but could I then take the files from that USB and put them on the CF Flash card and run a registered version?