My Unraid Journey - Unraid in Proxmox

the last couple of days i've been running unraid as a VM in proxmox.

machine - q35, bios - seabios, cpu - host

i only had to passthru the LSI controllers and USB flashdrive.

it could be my imagination, but i feel that unraid vm starts up faster, including starting up all the dockers.

its very nice to be able to open a console to unraid, its very much like having a pikvm or ipmi on the unraid machine.
now i can make pfsense vm start before unraid (its just one of the small things that bugged me and made me want to try unraid as a vm)

i had a few VMs in unraid, importing them over to proxmox was quite simple and quite fast (using qm importdisk).

one of the things i miss is being able to see the cpu and mb temperatures on the dashboard. and the fan speeds too.

could there be a way to have these displayed on the dashboard like before?

another thing that bugs me is the processor appears as "pc-q35-7.1 @ 2000 MHz" on the dashboard instead of the actual intel processor and speed.

server power usage is still displayed on the dashboard because i passed thru the UPS, but i would eventually have to connect the ups to proxmox as the nut master, then configuring nut slave in unraid, but i'm afraid the power usage will no longer be shown.

or anyone can suggest better way to monitor the PC health (temperatures, fan, power consumption, etc.)?

i just noticed that my read speeds are now slower than bare-metal.

now i'm getting about 55 - 60 MB/s when copying a large file from unraid. used to be MUCH faster.

but write speeds are 110 - 120 MB/s when copying a large file to unraid (cache share)

i tried setting the "max protocol = SMB2_02" setting that makes none of the shares accessible and logs would show these errors:

Jan  3 22:32:52 SILOmetalico  smbd[22262]: [2023/01/03 22:32:52.682566,  0] ../../source3/smbd/smb2_server.c:657(smb2_validate_sequence_number)
Jan  3 22:32:52 SILOmetalico  smbd[22262]:   smb2_validate_sequence_number: smb2_validate_sequence_number: bad message_id 0 (sequence id 0) (granted = 1, low = 1, range = 1)
Jan  3 22:32:53 SILOmetalico  smbd[22263]: [2023/01/03 22:32:53.915491,  0] ../../source3/smbd/smb2_server.c:657(smb2_validate_sequence_number)
Jan  3 22:32:53 SILOmetalico  smbd[22263]:   smb2_validate_sequence_number: smb2_validate_sequence_number: bad message_id 0 (sequence id 0) (granted = 1, low = 1, range = 1)
Jan  3 22:33:03 SILOmetalico  smbd[22500]: [2023/01/03 22:33:03.071618,  0] ../../source3/smbd/smb2_server.c:657(smb2_validate_sequence_number)
Jan  3 22:33:03 SILOmetalico  smbd[22500]:   smb2_validate_sequence_number: smb2_validate_sequence_number: bad message_id 0 (sequence id 0) (granted = 1, low = 1, range = 1)

any tweaks that could fix this?

could it be some network adapter setting in proxmox that is causing this? my network device is virtio and default settings.

when doing the same transfer in a windows VM the read/write speeds are between 400 - 500 MB/s (reading speed seems just slightly slower than the write speed)

Edited by limawaken

i have a feeling this has something to do with the network interface configured in proxmox.

i configured a 802.3ad LAG for 2 network ports and assigned it to a bridge, which is also proxmox main interface.

anyone with virtualised unraid experience, or experience setting up linux bond, please give me some advice?

iperf client on proxmox host and my windows laptop as the server, i get about 500+ Mbits/s

iperf client on laptop and proxmox host as server, i get 900+ Mbits/s

i also ran it on unraid vm and got similar result.

i also tried balance-rr, and the results were also similar.

is a linux bond supposed to reduce the server's upload speed like this?

Edited by limawaken

its not the linux bond, its not proxmox, or unraid.

its my WINDOWS laptop!

i ran iperf from between unraid vm to another linux box and upload/download speeds were at around 930 Mbits/s!

so this is a windows 11 bug!

some info here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/windows-11-2022-update-slowing-file-transfers-by-up-to-40#:~:text=Microsoft recently confirmed an issue,(Windows 11 version 22H2).

it seems there is no fix yet

Edited by limawaken