A few questions about parts.

I am trying to decide between an i5 12400 and a i5 12600

My needs will be Plex (eventually will need some transcoding), Nextcloud, Pi-hole, Easy-wg, probably 10 other Dockers and maybe 10-15 VMs (Not usually simultaneously). Maybe gaming one day but not a concern right now. I already have a Rosewill 4u chassis. The 4500 15 bay model. I have some hard drives and an m. 2 ssd. 

My second question is, will this motherboard suffice? And does anyone have any experience with it as a server motherboard?

ASRock Z690 PG Riptide LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Intel Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162031

Edited by nathan9214

Hopefully you'll get some other comments from other people because my comments here are just my opinions.

The mobo looks good.  As a bare minimum this is what I generally look for today:

• At least two M2 slots.
  • At least six SATA ports (more preferred).
  • Extra and fast PCIe expansion ports (in case you want to use a SATA/SAS expansion card).
  • Intel LAN.

As for the CPU I usually narrow my choices down to a half dozen or so that will cover my basic needs and then I price compare them by finding out their benchmark numbers like the link below.  I then take that number and divide it by the cost.  The CPU that gives me the best bang for my buck is the one that I buy.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-12400&id=4677

Plex runs nicely on my file servers which use a ASUS PRO B460M-C mobo with an Intel i3-10100 CPU.  Although I don't run much on those machines they are definitely underutilized.  Your choices here should be just fine.