WD Blue Vs WD Red Plus....

Well my latest parity check caused some read errors on one of my older drives.  So time to replace, I guess!

I can get a 8T Blue for ~$120  Or a Ironwolf  for ~$160 or a WD Red Plus for ~$165.

Does it really matter if I get a Blue for a data disk?  In the past I've shucked drive from externals..  But I see the Blue is cheaper and the reds are not that much more expensive than externals.

I think they are all CMR.

Thanks!

Edited by jbuszkie
On 1/3/2023 at 10:49 PM, jbuszkie said:

Well my latest parity check caused some read errors on one of my older drives.  So time to replace, I guess!

I can get a 8T Blue for ~$120  Or a Ironwolf  for ~$160 or a WD Red Plus for ~$165.

The 8TB version of the WD Blue is CMR, the smaller capacities are SMR.

Still, the price difference is not that great.

WD Blues are inferior drives as compared to the rest.

You might also look for the Seagate's Ironwolf Pro and Exos.

In many markets the Exos, which is in certain aspects superior to the Ironwolf,  sells at a discount to the latter therefore is being favored by many NAS users.

Edited by Lolight

Thanks!  I ended up getting a 10T Red plus. It was cheaper than the 8T! go figure!
I'll use that to replace my 1st  parity drive which is 8T. So now both drives parity drives will be 10T.

Now I just have to remember how to do that after I replace my 4T that has some read errors.