(Gone!) $106.92 Hitachi 3TB Coolspin Retail - Amazon US

so just everyone knows, i have two of these in my system (1 parity and 1 data) and i have had no problems so far with them.

if i didn't have 6TB of free space i would probably pick up a couple also (but i paid $48 each because someone bought them from frys and they would only show 800GB on their windows system, they worked great on my mac and on my unraid box)

christopher

Look on Newegg.  Many more reviews.  55% give 5 stars, and 22% give them 4 stars.  So > 3/4 of people very happy.

Remember that by far and away, those with bad experiences post on these types of feedback forums more than those with positive experiences.

These are great drives!  Hitachi is about to be absorbed into WD.  Very bad for the consumer IMO.  Buy them at this price while you can.  Once it is only WD and Seagate, prices will go up!

just sent one of these back to newegg for RMA because of a loud clicking and became unresponsive during parity checks and locked up pre-clear twice, but still in for one more, other in the system is running just fine

I have one that does a similar thing (although apart from being slower and louder than the others, it hasn't actually reported any errors ... but easily RMA'd anyway).  I've precleared 20 of them so far (out of 65) and only 2 have seemed a bit marginal.  So even if 10% are suspect, who cares, just RMA them and still a great price.  Preclearing is a great way to mega-stress the drives before committing any valuable data to them.

I'm in, just placed an order for one. Parity drive needs to be the size of your largest drive, right? So I guess that is where this one will go, until I can afford more of them. Thanks!

correct.

you still increase your array by the size of your old parity drive. assuming that you add that back to the array..

Damn it, I held out 2 days for this telling myself "dont do it!", looked at my array today and decided it would be much happier with a even 10 data drives  ;D

So I'm in for 2 of these. Have a 7200k version coming from Newegg to be the parity drive. My build is painfully expensive and not ready for production yet  :-\

Thanks guys!

Ditto..

I decided at this price, it is a better gig per dollar value at the moment and a higher density array. I was going to order more 2TB's this week but i think I'm officially done buy them as long as the 3TB drives are working in unraid and the price is falling to the sub $115.

I am just not a fan of 5 platter drives....

the only problem buying 3TB drives... The 4TB's are coming soon... at a price we cant touch i bet.. not for 2 years at least.

Damn it, I held out 2 days for this telling myself "dont do it!", looked at my array today and decided it would be much happier with a even 10 data drives  ;D

So I'm in for 2 of these. Have a 7200k version coming from Newegg to be the parity drive. My build is painfully expensive and not ready for production yet  :-\

Thanks guys!

haha funny  ;D ... I'm *still* waiting to put some data on mine (stress-testing it to h*ll and back), not to mention testing 5.0beta9, AOC-SASLP-MV8, HP SAS Expander, X8SIL-FO and 60TB of data drives.  Just want to make sure I can trust it.  Anyway, grab those drives, awesome price ... and who knows, once the Hitachi stock runs out (and there's one less HDD manufacturer), the prices might actually go back UP for a while!

Thanks for the heads up on the return of this deal ! I was bummed I missed it the first time.

Best deal yet on these - I bought two from Newegg @ $119 then two more with a $10 rebate. In spite of passing preclear one of them was just RMAed due to data errors that caused it to be dropped from the array. I'm hoping it was an anomaly because my server is currently constrained by 4 onboard SATA ports + 1 PCIex16 slot so I need high density drives.