(Gone!) $106.92 Hitachi 3TB Coolspin Retail - Amazon US

I'd be tempted to pick one of these up if 5.0 was released a few months ago and I deemed it completely safe to move my server to it...

I'm pretty much right there with you.  I use 5.0 on one production server where I'm willing to take the risk (without any issues); however, I'm not willing to take the risk on my second server which is where I'm constantly consuming large amounts of storage.

What's the significance of 4-platter drives?  Why are they better?

Well to me it's less of an issue about lower platter count = less power consumption...  (Although that is in the back of my mind)

But reliability.  More pieces, more things to go wrong, especially with the higher inertia of the spinning platters.

(To be honest I'm sure the reliability numbers are pretty much the same...  Just in the back of my mind I'm thinking about four whole platters spinning at high speed in such a small compressed area)

Fewer platters means higher areal density on the remaining platters. Which means faster sequential reads and writes to the drive.

Reliability of the Hitachi 5 platter design has been pretty well documented. So that is not an issue IMO.

Fewer platters means higher areal density on the remaining platters. Which means faster sequential reads and writes to the drive.

Reliability of the Hitachi 5 platter design has been pretty well documented. So that is not an issue IMO.

Ditto.  I wish hitachi had not been bought by WD.  I quite like there coolspin drives and the deskstar that they have out now.

I really need to grab some of these before they go by by for good, just can't justify the cost right now with other things I have to get.