One disk with red cross another Orange what to do?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi there,

i think i have a big problem now. After changing my Sata controller card i now have one disk with a red cross and one with an orange warning sign.

Have not started the Array in normal mode only in Mainatanance Mode. I also have switch back to the old controller card.

What can i do now? Is my data lost?

Parity should be valid because i had no writes to it since i switched the card.

grafik.thumb.png.6b8873382d1cd9e0448c65a8d4b53e2d.png

Is there any hope?

Beeing honest i dont know. Never had such a problem before. Is there anyway i can checkt if the contents of the disk are okay without starting the array?

It showed that way after the second reboot when i switched back the controller, althouiugt i dont know if the array was autostarted.

Was a bit confused

Hold on stop, let me explain further, really sorry i an so confused right now.

Let me recall what i have did befor i switched back to the old card.

You are correct, i did tried to rebuild. I placed a new disk to slot 6. Then the disk 7 went red while rebuild. So i stopped the rebuild, and switched back to the WD Drive which is now in.

Really sorry i am not really concentrated right now.

So WD Drive went Red, replaced it with a fresh Seagate, tried to rebuild, Disk 7 went red, stopped the rebuild, than placed WD back.

Done nothing more.

The Smart report of the WD drive was good, when i recall it right. So i doubt the HDD failed. Maybe the controller was no good.

Edited by darkside40
18 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Was an existing array disk

Most likely you could just do a new config and the data would all be there, since even if the rebuild was interrupted it should not have damaged existing data but in a couple fo minutes I'll post instruction to force enable disk7 and see how the emulated disk looks.

• Solution

This will only work if parity is still valid:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disk6
-Start array (in normal mode now) and post new diags.

Rebuild went okay, seems that everything worked out. Files are readable at least. Its mainly Media files, so if there is a bitflip anywere it is not the end of the world.

That is the ASM1166 Card card which seemed to be faulty, there is no labeling etc:

IMG_8014.thumb.JPG.63e1f0150190a3ebad8ac2f0c8a6c116.JPG

I have returned it to Amazon and ordered another one:

https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B09K4WKHKK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Hopefully that works better.

• Like 1