Hangups while fileoperations

Hi,

since I use Unraid i have several problems regarding file operations to the servers. I run 4.7 maxed out with 20 drives.

So far it's working well, but i store all my tvshows and media files on the server, so I scan them a lot, make changes, you know the drill.

Something that bothers me for quiet some time: If I access the server (SMB connection from Ubuntu and W7) while some other file operation is ongoing the whole thing becomes unresponsive. It takes 10-30 seconds until the operations continue.

Am I the only one with this problem? Is there anything I can tweak? My understanding is that unraid is also used for small workgroups, but I really can't believe that since it's locking up constantly with more than one operation to the server.

Thanks

Maybe I was a little vague here, I wasn't after a solution for the problem. I was more about the generel behaviour of the server since I thought, like Falcon, this is the normal behaviour of the whole system since i have this from day one?!

my two cents how i see this

on this page.. http://lime-technology.com/technology it quotes....

Ease of installation

Easy capacity expansion.

Ease of integration with other systems.

Easy recovery from disk device failure.

Immunity from catastrophic full data loss.

Good multiple-stream read performance.

Adequate write performance.

so i have always thought in the logic of reading and writing to a single drive....

as it all depends on what type of allocation method you use as well... eg. i use high water so therefore if i do multiple copies at the same time they will go to the same drive and it does also hang for me for a while..

like i said just my interpretation of unraid....  ::)

Maybe I was a little vague here, I wasn't after a solution for the problem. I was more about the generel behaviour of the server since I thought, like Falcon, this is the normal behaviour of the whole system since i have this from day one?!

Yes I am also after the same answer and don't see this as a problem.

I think the reason for the freeze is an combination of sleeping drives and the design with one fixed parity disk.

No, that is not normal operations. (At least not in my experience with my array)

I ask for details so we can spot the issue(s) in your situation and make corrections. Without the details you might as well be saying "My shit don't work. Is this normal?" and then having others chime in with "My shit don't work either. It must be normal." which does no one any good.

There are certain circumstances that are known that can cause your issue(s), and in most cases they can be corrected.

So once again, POST DETAILS!

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have done some testing and I have also updated to Version 5.Beta 9. and have still total freeze on the system, but I think I have found the reason:

I have a motherboard from ASUS P7P55D-E http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE/

on this board it is 9 SATA ports and 2 ATA ports.

it is separated like this:

Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in

6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller

1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices

1 xExternal SATA 3Gb/s port

1 xSATA 3Gb/s port (black)

and

Marvell® SATA 6Gb/s controller:

- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)

Normaly I have connected the Cache drive to port 6 on the Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in ports on the motherboard.

I have just got an new 3TB WD drive and disconnected the cache drive so I can connect the new drive on that port and run the preclear script on the disk before i put it into the raid.

Thats means that the preclear script is running and reading data from the disk on port 6 when I tested this the first time.

================================================================== 1.12

=                unRAID server Pre-Clear disk /dev/sdj

=              cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 1

= Disk Pre-Clear-Read completed                                DONE

= Step 1 of 10 - Copying zeros to first 2048k bytes            DONE

= Step 2 of 10 - Copying zeros to remainder of disk to clear it DONE

= Step 3 of 10 - Disk is now cleared from MBR onward.          DONE

= Step 4 of 10 - Clearing MBR bytes for partition 2,3 & 4      DONE

= Step 5 of 10 - Clearing MBR code area                        DONE

= Step 6 of 10 - Setting MBR signature bytes                    DONE

= Step 7 of 10 - Setting partition 1 to precleared state        DONE

= Step 8 of 10 - Notifying kernel we changed the partitioning  DONE

= Step 9 of 10 - Creating the /dev/disk/by* entries            DONE

= Step 10 of 10 - Verifying if the MBR is cleared.              DONE

= Post-Read in progress: 82% complete.

(  2,467,584,000,000  of  3,000,592,982,016  bytes read ) 79.8 MB/s

Disk Temperature: 33C, Elapsed Time:  30:47:45

If I try to write any of the other drives which is connected to the SAME controller but another port 1-5 on (Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in ports on the motherboard) \\10.10.10.10\disk1 or \disk2 ..... the write is freezing and the write operation is not working.

If I try to read from the drives it works as it should.

If I try to write to any other drives I have on the other interfaces the write is working as it should.

After the preclear was finished, I tried to read a file with 4.5 GB size from one drive on port on the controller and write to another disk on another port on the same controller and the same freeze problem was reproduced.

My hardware is:

I have a motherboard from ASUS P7P55D-E http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE/

All drive active

10 GB Memory

Dual Core 2.8 Ghz

Drives:

SATA

2T WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Paritet

500G 6G ST3500630AS Disk1

1T 15G WDC_WD10EACS-00C7B0 Disk2

1T 26G WDC_WD10EACS-00C7B0 Disk3

1T 32G WDC_WD10EACS-00ZJB0 Disk4

500G 3G SAMSUNG_HD501LJ Disk5

1T 51G WDC_WD10EACS-00C7B0 Disk6

200G 7G ST3200822AS Disk7

320G 18G ST9320423AS Disk14

ATA

300G 8G Maxtor_6B300R0 Disk8

300G 17G Maxtor_6B300R0 Disk9

320G 34G ST3320620A Disk10

320G 16G ST3320620A Disk11

It is very easy to find when you disconnect the cache drive, if any other with the same controller want to test and see if they have the same freeze.

syslog.txt