Docker Service failed to start help

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi all,

My docker service has crashed and won't restart. I get the following error: 

Warning: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to unix:///var/run/docker.sock (Connection refused) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 712
Couldn't create socket: [111] Connection refused
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 898

Warning: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to unix:///var/run/docker.sock (Connection refused) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 712
Couldn't create socket: [111] Connection refused
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 967

I have tried going into settings -> docker and enable docker no then yes to restart the service and I get the same error.  

I haven't changed anything recently with the server so I don't think I changed anything to cause this to happen. 

I appreciate any help I have attached diagnostics

mercury-diagnostics-20230108-2300.zip

Why do you have 400G docker.img? That is at least 10 times larger than could ever be needed. 20G is often more than enough.

Your system share has files on the array.

Go to Settings, disable VM Manager, disable Docker and delete docker.img so we can recreate it later at a more reasonable size.

Run mover, when it completes, post new diagnostics.

Those diagnostics still show 400G docker.img mounted, which it shouldn't be because Docker isn't enabled.

system share still has files on disk1, but it can't be that docker.img, since you don't (and didn't) have docker.img configured to be in the system share like it usually is and instead it is in the root of cache. Not necessarily wrong but there are some advantages to putting it in system share.

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system

and this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

Those diagnostics still show 400G docker.img mounted, which it shouldn't be because Docker isn't enabled.

system share still has files on disk1, but it can't be that docker.img, since you don't (and didn't) have docker.img configured to be in the system share like it usually is and instead it is in the root of cache. Not necessarily wrong but there are some advantages to putting it in system share.

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system

and this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

Sorry if this is a duplicate I had issue posting...This is what I got for running these commands.

root@Mercury:~# ls -lah /mnt/cache/system
total 16K
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  48 Jan  7  2022 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 136 Jan  1 04:30 ../
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody root  142 Apr  4  2021 custom_ovmf/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    0 Apr 17  2022 docker/
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    0 Jan  7  2022 libvirt/
root@Mercury:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  3 nobody users  21 Jan  7  2022 ./
drwxrwxrwx 17 nobody users 318 Jan  8 22:45 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root   25 Jan  7  2022 libvirt/
root@Mercury:~# 

21 minutes ago, JorgeB said:
Jan  6 05:32:29 Mercury kernel: BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p1): block=544174866432 write time tree block corruption detected

Run memtest, btrfs detected corruption before writing metadata to the device, this is usually bad RAM, or other hardware problem.

If a hardware problem how can I pinpoint if it's RAM or the drive? That error on the nvme is the main cache drive does that mean it is the broken bit? 

• Solution
2 hours ago, velourfogg said:

Running memtest now at least 200 errors. I guess I need new ram?

You need to get zero errors from memtest. Whether new RAM or something else.

You shouldn't even attempt to run any computer unless memory is working perfectly. Everything goes through RAM, the OS and other executable code, your data, everything. The CPU can't do anything with anything until it is loaded into RAM.